Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gunboat Smith: "There's something radically wrong in todays boxing."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gunboat Smith would suffer near life-threatening injuries had he boxed some of the best 1970 had to offer.....and that's with his foes wearing sparring gloves.

Joe Frazier would have annihilated Smith at his best.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      The thing that Gunboat was talking about ( I have the book ) was brain Damage, Smith was asked why the modern fighters ( 1960's in his case ) suffered a lot from brain damage. Gunboat thought that a modern fighter took MORE punches overall because of the extra padding and head-gear, and because of that he thought it may be the answer. In other words, he said you'd be DEAD if you took as many punches as a 6 oz. gloves. So Gunboat is sort of on your side. one things for sure,.... Smith could bang hard.
      I think your are mixing a couple of books. The Gunner is talking about how he went 20 rounds to a decision over Jess Willard which seemed odd to him because he was such a terrific hitter. He then goes out on the tangent and talks about how he cannot understand how the fighters of today can KO somebody with those heavy gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
        Gunboat Smith would suffer near life-threatening injuries had he boxed some of the best 1970 had to offer.....and that's with his foes wearing sparring gloves.

Joe Frazier would have annihilated Smith at his best.
        I am not saying you are wrong, but your statement is bold. Smith was peaking from 1912 to 1914 where he went unbeaten and had some great wins including Jess Willard, Sam Langford, Bombardier Wells and George Godfrey. He was top ranked at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          I am not saying you are wrong, but your statement is bold. Smith was peaking from 1912 to 1914 where he went unbeaten and had some great wins including Jess Willard, Sam Langford, Bombardier Wells and George Godfrey. He was top ranked at that time.
          ...and that means he was very good for his time. Take the way he fought and have him fight that way against Joe Frazier, and you'd see a laughable slaughter.

Gunboat could very well have been right about the all-around toughness of the fighters from his era compared to the modern ones. But, he was wrong about the gloves and guys not getting hurt from them. He'd have been split in two by Foreman, Shavers, and Lyle if they hit him with the "*****" gloves he mocked.

Comment

What sized gloves is SRR wearing in your GIFS, bat?

He certainly isn't having trouble laying out guys, some naturally bigger, with those things.

Comment

...and that means he was very good for his time. Take the way he fought and have him fight that way against Joe Frazier, and you'd see a laughable slaughter.

Gunboat could very well have been right about the all-around toughness of the fighters from his era compared to the modern ones. But, he was wrong about the gloves and guys not getting hurt from them. He'd have been split in two by Foreman, Shavers, and Lyle if they hit him with the "*****" gloves he mocked.
              Who knows? What if you put these guys back in time to 1910 with 4 ounze gloves, little rules and 20 round+ fights?

I know you are talking about ATG's in Frazier and Foreman, but I'm sure The Gunner could rock with both Shavers and Lyle.

Comment

What sized gloves is SRR wearing in your GIFS, bat?

He certainly isn't having trouble laying out guys, some naturally bigger, with those things.
                I don't know, but Robinson surely shows some vicious power and ferocity. Talk about the perfect specimen of an offensive fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                  Also, you can't score a knockout with 8 oz gloves? Oooooooooh! Now I understand why there's never any knockouts any more.
                  I think something did go out in Fraziers brain, it was a shocking loss, Joe certainly went to sleep. Gunboat Smith said that Knockouts were still possible, but look how many more punches they take today, in Smiths day, KO's were a bit easier that's all. Even Gunboat Smith sparred in bigger gloves, they always did, but of course they fought a lot more than they sparred. Gentleman John Jackson was different but, he never trained for a fight in his life.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    I think your are mixing a couple of books. The Gunner is talking about how he went 20 rounds to a decision over Jess Willard which seemed odd to him because he was such a terrific hitter. He then goes out on the tangent and talks about how he cannot understand how the fighters of today can KO somebody with those heavy gloves.
                    It is a section in a book called the Memoirs of Gunboat Smith or something similar, it is one of the great reads in all boxing literature, he takes you through his world. From what I know of him was that he said himself that he was average in many areas of the game, but he was tough and one of the all-time hitters, I think he could have knocked out many with any type of glove. I'll have to go back and read it again, I'll post again on him then,....... PS, that film of Robbo you have there, proves his greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                      It is a section in a book called the Memoirs of Gunboat Smith or something similar, it is one of the great reads in all boxing literature, he takes you through his world. From what I know of him was that he said himself that he was average in many areas of the game, but he was tough and one of the all-time hitters, I think he could have knocked out many with any type of glove. I'll have to go back and read it again, I'll post again on him then,....... PS, that film of Robbo you have there, proves his greatness.
                      I found the Gunboat Smith chapter one of the more interesting reads in the book. Maybe because I love reading about the old prizefighters.

If you find out the title of the book you refer to, you should put in this thread about recommended reading:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=455654

Comment

Working...
                      X