Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing words/phrases for No0bs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4. "Heavy handed" I thought this is a synonym to a puncher but I gathered it's not quite the same.
    5. "Chop down"

Comment

Here's some more boxing phrases/words:

1.) "Sitting down on your punches" - planting your feet and delivering a power punch

2.) "Pedestrian" - not throwing enough punches or not engaging enough

3.) "Skinning the gloves" - taping the gloves high on the wrist pulling the padding away from the knuckles to make the punching surface harder

4.) "Weight drain" - cutting weight in an unnatural or unhealthy manner such as severely restricting calories and fluid intake in order to make weight

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        I've sometimes heard people use 'cutie pie' to refer to a fighter who's deceptively tough or dangerous.

Deceptive is probably the best interpretation of it overall.
        I have never heard anything of the sort friend your first meaning is the right one.

Comment

I more or less agree with what P4P_No1 said.

1. 'Ugly' is unrefined, sort of grinding your opponent down type of boxing. Punches are often wild. Without wanting to be mean, John Ruiz's style is what I'd discribe as ugly.

2. 'On you bicycle': Larry Holmes and Mohammed Ali were 'on their bicycle' a lot. Constant movement, circling the ring, making you hard to hit.

3. "Cute" and "cutie" are terms I've heard but am not exactly sure of myself. But I think it discribed a savy, cagey, technical style. James Toney would be one example.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
            4. "Heavy handed" I thought this is a synonym to a puncher but I gathered it's not quite the same.
            5. "Chop down"
            Heavy handed is somebody like Victor Ortiz or Cotto, who packs a mean hard punch, not necessarily a KO artist, just a guy who hits hard.

Chop down may refer to a guy getting worked to the body, think of a tree, you slowly chop it down till it tumbles.
            Last edited by _original_; 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

@BostonGuy: on no.3 I remembered Tyson doing that in his 2009 documentary. Does it make your punches harder? and wouldn't that potentially hurt the fighter's own fist?

Sorry for the noobish question and grammar

Comment

5. "Chop down"
                Heavy handed means no shocking and jarring sort of power that can cause one punch knockouts but a heavy boned bruising puncher with thudding power who beats you up good and even hurts your arms and shoulders as you are blocking.

Chop down can be to attack to the body so to bring the opponent guard and posture down to open for head punches

Comment

@BostonGuy: on no.3 I remembered Tyson doing that in his 2009 documentary. Does it make your punches harder? and wouldn't that potentially hurt the fighter's own fist?

Sorry for the noobish question and grammar
                  Yes, your punches will be harder because there's less padding around the knuckle area. I've never heard of a fighter hurting his hand because of a skinned glove but it's possible.

Nowadays you seldom see that practice - probably due in part because boxing gloves are better constructed and it's harder to move the padding.

However, occasionally you will see fighter with the high taping and that's probably what their trying to do...

Comment

BHop is both cute and ugly. His overall fights are ugly to watch sometimes, but he does a lot of cute stuff in there. He has tricks learned through experience and good teaching that can be used to throw guys off inside and outside. I've heard many different guys described as cute despite their style, like Dundee and Clancy described Duran as cute, Walcott is cute, Toney and Mayweather, Moreno, Mijares, and Calderon have been described as cute. It's not so much the style but moves, savvy and experience that define 'cuteness' in a fighter. Johnny famechon was very cute.

Ugly is a little more about a guys style. Hatton will try anything to win. He will wrestle, throw a ten punch sack combination, maul, clinch etc. He doesn't have any of the skill, savvy or moves that another 'ugly' guy has though, like Ward and BHop, who are also very cute fighters.

Cute to me refers to moves a guy has, not his style. Ugly is more about style, but particularly a mauling, holding, clinching, smothering style.

Comment

@BennyST: Based on your post... Could Duran be both "cute" and "ugly" as well? For example in the Moore fight he was mauling and roughing him up but at the same time Duran's great defense and counters were displayed.

Comment

Working...
                      X