No announcement yet.

Influences/Inspirations etc.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Influences/Inspirations etc.

Have you guys got any people you aspire to be like, look up to or try to learn from in life? Sort of like a childhood hero thing but, on a more serious level.

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    Have you guys got any people you aspire to be like, look up to or try to learn from in life? Sort of like a childhood hero thing but, on a more serious level.
    I wonder how many would state: their parents ....

Which would imply or suggest just how badly, sometimes due to no fault of their own, parents are completing their jobs in this modern society. In the old days, guys & gals wanted to be like mom & dad because there was a strong sense of value, commitment and dedication to not only family but also, right and wrong. Nowadays, mom & dad, for various reasons, some valid, have ceased to be the inspiration younger generations need. Which encourages many to honor and admire those who are really unknown elements, but because of what they do, become hero's for those who are inspirationally deficient.

I realize, I went off-track just a little ... but discussing Influences & or Inspirations in today's society, takes on a different meaning than it did in the past. {See previous paragraph}

If one can be inspired by a basketball player, Boxer, Football player etc.. to strive for excellence, then that can be a great force that can be used to better self. At the same time, one would have to be careful and mindful not to place that inspirational source too high on a pedestal, for we are all prone to faults. And many can and do get caught up in not only striving to be "like mike" on one level, while adopting Mike's habits, both good & bad, on another level.

I can honestly state that, I am one of those who got neither inspiration, nor any influence from my father. My mom was my sole source of many of my personal influences and inspirations. Outside of her, I admire and get inspired by anyone who puts their mission of success first, and are willing to lay it all on the line to achieve their goals and or aspirations. And that encompasses a long list of personalities encountered and some never met.

Its not enough, to think it and or even state it .... you have to live success and settle for nothing less. I cannot attribute this phrase to any one individual, but a collection of individuals who have demonstrated a lifestyle dedicated to success.

Comment

Not really.

Even as a child I found the concept of a "childhood hero" to be somewhat ******ed. I was never into comic books, superheroes, or any of that stuff.

As a grown man? Again, not really.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely human beings on this planet who, as a man, I respect the hell out of and even admire to a limited degree. But do I want to be like them? No. I just respect them because I possess a similar quality or two that they do.

Parental role models? Hardly.

Comment

I always looked up to Ka-dy King when I was a young boxer. I remember he'd always come down in his Kronk red and yellow letter jacket. Ka-dy was always the life of the gym always cracking jokes and carrying on. Once the bell rang he was tough with such a fluid style with a great jab and a quick righthand. He was like the big brother that I wanted to be like........Rockin'

Comment

Working...
        X