No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Junior: Steroid Abuse

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones Junior: Steroid Abuse

Lets at least hear what really happened before we start speculating on what we think he did or did not take... it was no different than back in 2002 going to the local GNC and buying ephedra pills and poppin em... he wasnt sticking his ass with a needle and injecting hulk juice

ANSWERS.COM: http://www.answers.com/topic/roy-jones-jr

The post-fight drug test showed Jones and Hall both tested positive for androstenedione, which is a banned substance by the IBF. Androstenedione is a natural steroid hormone that was commonly available over the counter as a supplement until 2004 when the FDA made the over the counter sale of androstenedione illegal. Jones admitted to taking the product "ripped fuel" which was sold in GNC and every nutritional supplement outlet. Jones was able to keep his title and was not fined or suspended for the positive test. All of Jones' other post-fight drug tests before and after this fight came back clean. He ended the year by stopping Eric Harding in the 10th round of a one sided fight, once again successfully retaining the title.

ESPN.com: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2782402

Roy Jones Jr. and Richard Hall both tested positive for the testosterone precursor androstenedione after Jones defeated Hall to retain his undisputed world light heavyweight championship in Indianapolis in 2000. Jones insisted his test was the result of ingesting the supplement Ripped Fuel.

Ring Side Report: http://ringsidereport.com/rsr/news.php?readmore=1261

After Roy Jones, JR. defeated Richard Hall in 2000, both he and Hall tested positive for the androstenedione, a substance banned by the IBF. Jones admitted taking a produce named “Ripped Fuel” which contained androstenedione, a natural hormone which was available over the counter until 2004 when it was made illegal by the FDA. The IBF took a lenient stance to Jones' positive test, declining to fine or ban him and letting him keep his title.

Make of it, what you will...

He tested positive for a chemical, where at the time, it was legal to take.. and he only ever tested positive for it, in one fight...
    Last edited by THE REED; 03-05-2009, 02:27 AM.

Ha ha....Roid Jones Jr.

Comment

It's pretty ignorant when people say that RJJ took steroids. In my opinion people are just looking for some way to bring him down because he had too much talent and people are jealous. They don't think it's possible for a man to be as atheltically dominant as Jones was...sorry to say, but he was legit.

He took a supplement that he had no idea contained the banned substance, and once he found out it carried the substance he stopped using it, apologized and went on to do what he'd always done.

Besides, for a fighter like Roy steroids wouldn't do anything to help him. In fact, it would make him a worse fighter. It would slow him down, dull his reflexes and just make him a bit stronger. 1) He already had enough power to knock out anyone that got in the ring with him (and I mean anyone) 2) He relied completely and fully on his speed and reflexes, without them what would he be?

The roid thing is stupid and just a way to downplay how amazing Roy was.

Comment

Originally posted by Vigilant3 View Post
        It's pretty ignorant when people say that RJJ took steroids. In my opinion people are just looking for some way to bring him down because he had too much talent and people are jealous. They don't think it's possible for a man to be as atheltically dominant as Jones was...sorry to say, but he was legit.

He took a supplement that he had no idea contained the banned substance, and once he found out it carried the substance he stopped using it, apologized and went on to do what he'd always done.

Besides, for a fighter like Roy steroids wouldn't do anything to help him. In fact, it would make him a worse fighter. It would slow him down, dull his reflexes and just make him a bit stronger. 1) He already had enough power to knock out anyone that got in the ring with him (and I mean anyone) 2) He relied completely and fully on his speed and reflexes, without them what would he be?

I disagree. Steroids is known to enhance speed. Therefore Roy had an unfair advantage using those steroids.

Comment

After reading your other posts I bet you'd buy right into it if they were talking about Floyd Mayweather though. More fighters have used roids and HGH than you would ever imagine.

Comment

RJJ looked ridiculous for the Ruiz-fight. Many fighters have used steroids/HGH like Mosley, Holyfield, Toney, Vargas and Vitali so it's not exactly impossible.

Comment

Yeah, I know Manchine, but you are talking about putting 25 pounds of muscle on an already ripped guy. Of course he's going to look a little ridiculous in how ripped he got. What did you expect?

And I'm well aware that lots of fighters have taken Roids and HGH, but I still stand by my opinion that roids wouldn't have helped Roy anyway and he never took them knowingly. That said, you are welcome to your opinion. I don't have this opinion because Roy is my favorite fighter, I'm going by what I see, what I've heard and what I know about steroids. He doesn't have any of the tell-tale signs of extended steroid use, either.

Comment

Yeah, I know Manchine, but you are talking about putting 25 pounds of muscle on an already ripped guy. Of course he's going to look a little ridiculous in how ripped he got. What did you expect?

all that muscle that fast, he was definitely using steroids

Comment

What? Do you even make sense?

Comment

Some people will defend Roy even when there is evidence that he used.
                    We get this "He only tested positive once" like once is OK?
                    Truth is chemists have always found ways to hide the use of drugs and there is enough bent people & money in boxing to keep the facts from the public.
                    Boxing has a bad enough rep already without completely destroying it by exposing those at the top as drug cheats.
                    It also helps if you are american that you don't get busted.
                    Marion Jones has taken her rap like a man....well she practically was a man when she was juicing.

Comment

Working...
                    X