No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Robert Guerrero-Andre Berto: Pre-Fight Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Robert Guerrero-Andre Berto: Pre-Fight Report Card

by Cliff Rold - There are question marks on both sides of the ring. The biggest of them might be this: on Saturday night on HBO (10 PM EST/PST), are we watching the next opponent for Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

It would be nice if the fight could be enjoyed in a vacuum, but that’s not really possible. The economic incentive that is the Mayweather prize looms as a powerful shadow on this fight. Mayweather has been quiet of late unless one includes the lover’s quarrel with 50 Cent. It won’t be quiet forever.

A possible big-money clash at 154 lbs. with Saul Alvarez will be an option next year. The winner of this fight is Mayweather’s WBC mandatory at Welterweight.

Robert Guerrero was once mentioned as a foe for Mayweather and met derision. He can answer that on Saturday.

Andre Berto was on the cusp of Mayweather once before and got knocked off course by Victor Ortiz. One fight and a PED pop later, opportunity rings again. [Click Here To Read More]

Got it all wrong Cliff, Berto's has a chance, but it's in the first third of the fight. Guerrero will dictate the tempo, and berto will fade. Maybe you've somehow been convinced that Andres career isnt a sham, but the guy is the paper champion all paper champions will be measured against. Unless another unforeseen natural disaster occurs his entitlement ends tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by apunchnotseen View Post
      Got it all wrong Cliff, Berto's has a chance, but it's in the first third of the fight. Guerrero will dictate the tempo, and berto will fade. Maybe you've somehow been convinced that Andres career isnt a sham, but the guy is the paper champion all paper champions will be measured against. Unless another unforeseen natural disaster occurs his entitlement ends tomorrow.
      I don't agree. How many fighters have you ever seen that fight in the last round like they did in the first? I'm with Cliff in that Berto is a real welter and he has actual power. He proved against Ortiz, who is a puncher, that he may go down, but he gets back up. And he proved against Collazo (who was a lefty, I might add) that he will fight through adversity. I haven't seen him give up in any fight he was encountering difficulties so I can't really envision a KO for Guerrero, but I can certainly see a KO for Berto. Either way, I got Berto for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Concussive View Post
        I don't agree. How many fighters have you ever seen that fight in the last round like they did in the first? I'm with Cliff in that Berto is a real welter and he has actual power. He proved against Ortiz, who is a puncher, that he may go down, but he gets back up. And he proved against Collazo (who was a lefty, I might add) that he will fight through adversity. I haven't seen him give up in any fight he was encountering difficulties so I can't really envision a KO for Guerrero, but I can certainly see a KO for Berto. Either way, I got Berto for sure.
        This fight reminds me of mayweather Mosley.

Boxing skills and fundamentals with accurate punching

trumps speed and power especially for a fighter

like berto who is not super active.

UD in lopsided win for the ghost.

Berto off peds will exploit his true inability.

Comment

Originally posted by amayseng View Post

Who said Berto is off of PEDs? Remember he refused VADA testing. Instead GBP wanted commission testing or USADA...

Comment

I don't hold the PEDs against him cuz it seems like he was contaminated. That drama aside, I think the ring rust will really hurt his performance, and Guerrero will have his chance to pull away with the victory.

Berto's deficiencies: chin, punch resistance, endurance, stamina
            Guerrero's deficiencies: power, new weight-class

Toss-up fight and I think Guerrero is tough enough to weather the early barrage and out-box a rusty Berto.

Comment

Originally posted by amayseng View Post

If mosleyhadn't been shot when he fought mayweather, this would have been a great analogy. Problem is that if mosley had been in his prime, he'd have ko'd mayweather when he had him hurt. Mosley was a killer when he was young. He was nowhere near that fighter when he fought mayweather or pacquiao. He'd been shot for years but people forgot that when he beat margarito, who was tailor-made for him.

Comment

Working...
              X