Pete Sanstol & Panama Al Brown sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Sanstol & Panama Al Brown sparring

Training for the 1935 rematch:

Brown and Sanstol fought each other twice, once at the peak of their respective careers, with Brown coming out on top by a close split decision, and Sanstol winning the rematch when both men were well past their primes.

The Norwegian Pete Sanstol was compared to Battling Nelson in his prime, fighting with an aggressive bobbing & weaving style which is displayed here against a sparring partner.

Thanks for this, are the full fights out there or no ?.

Comment

I doubt there's any film of the Brown-Sanstol fights. I've actually never come across any footage of Sanstol fighting but there are several fights of Panama Al Brown out there, though none full. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky to have any film at all of the "golden era" of Bantamweights.

Comment

Didn't think there would be, worth asking though.

At 1:17 it looks like Brown elbows Sanstol, a bit cheap lol.

Comment

some light

I may shed some light around this clip and the second Sanstøl-Brown fight.

I believe 99% certain that the film from the second fight is the same place where i found this clip. Only it has not been categorized yet and is still hidden in the library basement. I fear however that when i find it the quality will be worse than this clipp due to the heavy rainfall on the day of the fight.

The fellow with the headgear is Sanstol, His sparring partner is Olav Nilsen. The second man Brown is sparring with who look like Sanstol is Fredrik Johansen. Who Brown proclaimed had a great proffesional future ahead of him.

TheGreatA, did you know that Sanstol was offered the job as head coach for the finnish amateur team?

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer View Post
            I may shed some light around this clip and the second Sanstøl-Brown fight.

I believe 99% certain that the film from the second fight is the same place where i found this clip. Only it has not been categorized yet and is still hidden in the library basement. I fear however that when i find it the quality will be worse than this clipp due to the heavy rainfall on the day of the fight.

The fellow with the headgear is Sanstol, His sparring partner is Olav Nilsen. The second man Brown is sparring with who look like Sanstol is Fredrik Johansen. Who Brown proclaimed had a great proffesional future ahead of him.

TheGreatA, did you know that Sanstol was offered the job as head coach for the finnish amateur team?
            I actually did not. He would have done wonders for our boxers I'm sure, as we've always lacked sufficient training in this country.

Hopefully you will find the film and that it will be watchable. Sanstol is very much a forgotten boxer and the lack of film footage has a lot to do with it. This is the first time I've seen Sanstol in action, even if it's just him sparring. It's very much appreciated.

Comment

where did they find that 1st sparring partner? ive seen better technique shown in playground fights.

Comment

clip

The clip is slightly sped up, so i believe his tecnique seems slightly worse than it was.
                Also The public workouts where not Petes real training. Only light sparring for the audiences. so the sparring partner was simply a local amateur (Welter i believe)
                Pete had secret training sessions in the evening in the Pete Sanstol academy(his boxingclub)

Comment

This is the first I ever saw of Sanstøl. In fact I havent heard of him untill TGA sported his pic as avatar.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer View Post
                    The clip is slightly sped up, so i believe his tecnique seems slightly worse than it was.
                    Also The public workouts where not Petes real training. Only light sparring for the audiences. so the sparring partner was simply a local amateur (Welter i believe)
                    Pete had secret training sessions in the evening in the Pete Sanstol academy(his boxingclub)

ive seen many of these old sparring sessions and the sparring partners always looked crude with no skills or technique.why would these champions spar with these bums?

Comment

Working...
                    X