Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Sky only work with one promoter at a time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Sky only work with one promoter at a time?

I know the odd GBP fighter gets on Sky but in general why do Sky only work with one promoter?

I cant imagine Hearn saying to Sky "I'll only work with you if I'm the only promoter" because in that negotiation Sky hold all the aces (Sky makes the promoter, not the other way around). Surely Sky would welcome competition for their best dates?

Can someone explain please. Thanks

Wondered this myself. When the whole Hearn-Sky axis of evil came about, Warren still had a great stable of fighters, why Sky would let him loose is beyond me.

Now however, it makes sense, because with Sky's backing, Hearns has managed to grab a whole load of Warren fighters. Warren is on his last legs as a big time promoter...I'm not sure how well boxnation does in terms of viewership but I don't think it will last much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Wondered this myself. When the whole Hearn-Sky axis of evil came about, Warren still had a great stable of fighters, why Sky would let him loose is beyond me.

Now however, it makes sense, because with Sky's backing, Hearns has managed to grab a whole load of Warren fighters. Warren is on his last legs as a big time promoter...I'm not sure how well boxnation does in terms of viewership but I don't think it will last much longer.
      That's what confuses me because Sky is the reason his stable became, well, Sky worthy. So they hold all the cards in this deal, why do they let him be the only promoter?

Comment

Barney Francis and Adam Smith (thankfully both boxing fans as well as key decision-makers at Sky) have both hinted in the past that they liked the model of one strong promoter, one long-term contract and with a clear number of fights to be delivered and when they wanted them shown. In short, Hearn works for Sky and has deadlines and fights to make.

What they thoroughly disliked was the time it took to bring fights together with other promoters involved and two-way negotiations. I think Francis has mentioned that they felt that they were becoming the match-makers and they neither had the time or inclination to do this.

Comment

Is it just me or are skysports a little bit on the ropes?.

No offence but i don't buy Sky to watch Championship and Irish league games. There is also a lot of other garbage on like bowling and sailing.

BT is building quite a good portfolio and making me question for the first time in years about leaving Sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post

No offence but i don't buy Sky to watch Championship and Irish league games. There is also a lot of other garbage on like bowling and sailing.

BT is building quite a good portfolio and making me question for the first time in years about leaving Sky.
            I think the Sky package is the best sports channel in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              BT are a definite threat though, it surely won't be long until they're involved in boxing.

Comment

This seems to be the case with their broadcasting of US fights too.

I've only seen Top Rank fights over the last few months on there, none of the Goldenboy cards since their switch to Showtime (or if there have been any, it's greatly reduced).

Is that because of Primetime's links to Showtime? So have Sky now lost all Goldenboy fights?

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                  Just about....seriously, the gap is closing!

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post

I agree, so many PL games have gone to BT, Sky has lost out on a hell of a lot of boxing and in terms of cricket, it is still the place to be but mostly shows England tours, some Aussie, South African stuff, has a handful of the Windies and NZ but very little of Pakistan in the UAE where some great matches have taken place in recent times.

I'm sure a time will come when the cricket finds a new home and even more PL matches make it to BT...that's the time I'll end the SkySports subscription.

Comment

Not too mention BT won the rights to the Champions League from 2015.

Comment

Working...
                    X