No announcement yet.

southpaw or orthodox?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• southpaw or orthodox?

what happens when you can fight from both southpaw and orthodox with devestating power.. do you put your power hand out in front if your orthodox already.. i know tyson and frazier switched TO orthodox...i heard tyson used to switch up sometime

Originally posted by realheavyhands
    what happens when you can fight from both southpaw and orthodox with devestating power..
    Lots of fighters can fight both ways but i have never seen anyone switch hit like me.

I have watched fighters like Hagler, Cotto, Witter etc who can fight either way just as easy as each other but when you constantly switch it gives you a huge advantage against you opponents.

It helps me a lot because I can punch(KO) with with either hand, if you have KO power yourself you would really notice the diffenence cutting the corners off etc, you can make your opponent look like a fool!

Comment

being able to switch up always is a plus--it is a great tool when someone is constantly worrying about your right hand--

Comment

I am naturally right handed...but I find it hard to move in the orthodox stance, so I fight southpaw. I got power in both hands, but I like standing southpaw...because I like to move..

Comment

Originally posted by jack_the_rippuh
          I am naturally right handed...but I find it hard to move in the orthodox stance, so I fight southpaw. I got power in both hands, but I like standing southpaw...because I like to move..
          I was orthadox for a while, i just thought **** it i wanna be a switch hitter. Its all mental, if you can imagine doing it then its easy.

People are shocked at how good of a switch hitter i am, you should try it.

Comment

Marvin Hagler is the ONLY fighter who switched up effectively on a consistent basis.
            He did so more efoortlessly than any other fighterin history.

Most guys try it, & it makes no difference.

I'd advise most young fighters to avoid doing this.

Comment

I started shadowboxing orthodox and got bored with it so I decided to switch up my gameplan and try southpaw....At first it was horrid and I felt uncoordinated, I even tried it on the heavy bag...I felt I had no power but as I practiced I now hit as hard as I do in the orthodox position....When shadowboxing I like to switch it up...I do a lot of foot movement in my shadowboxing and I will go one side orthodox and turn and go southpaw the next...By doing so it has really helped me gain a bit of speed as well...Im much faster now that I incorporated both and can do both pretty well.....

I would learn both.

Comment

shadowboxing and fighting are alot different. have you tried it in sparring yet? its pretty difficult to do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoko
                  shadowboxing and fighting are alot different. have you tried it in sparring yet? its pretty difficult to do well.

Not yet, But im confident that I will have no trouble...I like to move A LOT!...Im naturally left handed but I do all things right w/ the exception of writing....This may give me a bit of an advantage.....

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff
                    Marvin Hagler is the ONLY fighter who switched up effectively on a consistent basis.
                    He did so more efoortlessly than any other fighterin history.

Most guys try it, & it makes no difference.

I'd advise most young fighters to avoid doing this.
                    I advise young fighters to do it.

How can being able to switch be a disadvantage??

just because marv was the only great fighter to do it often doesnt mean ****. alot of old coaches advise against, so fighters dont do it(that will change).

My new coach told me not to switch, he didnt like me switching on the bag, shadow boxing etc when i first went to a new club. I showed him it in action and i give his best heavys hell. He loves the fact i switch hit now.

Lots of pro's can and do switch hit, Junior Witter, Naz, Cotto etc the list does on.

If switch hitting doesnt work for you then fine but it give me a great advantage.

Comment

Working...
                    X