No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kiko Martinez Talks Camp, Frampton-Cazares, Quigg

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Kiko Martinez Talks Camp, Frampton-Cazares, Quigg

Next stop on Kiko Martínez’s world tour is Japan for the second defence of his IBF super-bantamweight title on April 23. Experienced Hozumi Hasegawa will be the man on the opposite side of the ring trying to snatch away Kiko’s belt and the former world champion will be tough opposition to overcome in his home country.

For this training camp Martínez is currently based in Madrid where he is working with not only his usual trainer Pablo Sarmiento but also Pablo’s brother, Gabriel, who has rejoined the fold.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Martinez may have been limited, but he is quickly improving. Gabriel Sarmiento and Pablo Sarmiento are improving his game. Most Spanish boxers need a second job. For the first time in his life Martinez can afford to be completely focused on boxing. And defending a title provides extra motivation. Martinez has a ceiling, that's for sure. He is always going to be a brawler with technical shortcomings, but he compensates for it with bravery, heart and a fluid offense. He is like a young version of Orlando Salido, without the wear and tear. Hasegawa will be knocked out in an entertaining, brutal fight.
    Last edited by afterpunk; 03-13-2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Not sure that Martinez is doing the right thing here, he might be thinking "Oh, I'll have the Frampton rematch option forever", but Santa Cruz said yesterday (I think) that he'd be willing to go to Ireland. Whether it happens or not, who knows, but Martinez could find himself out of options without having maximised his earnings if things don't go his way.

Comment

Originally posted by afterpunk View Post
        Martinez may have been limited, but he is quickly improving. Gabriel Sarmiento and Pablo Sarmiento are improving his game. Most Spanish boxers need a second job. For the first time in his life Martinez can afford to be completely focused on boxing. And defending a title provides extra motivation. Martinez has a ceiling, that's for sure. He is always going to be a brawler with technical shortcomings, but he compensates for it with bravery, heart and a fluid offense. He is like a young version of Orlando Salido, without the wear and tear. Hasegawa will be knocked out in an entertaining, brutal fight.
        Call me crazy but I have a feeling Hasegawa is going to out box Kiko, and win by confortable desision, I like Kiko's warrior mentality but Hasegawa's thecnic and experience are all wrong for the Spaniard.

Comment

I've read that Hasegawa was the best option, financially wise. HBO executives liked Martinez's come-forward style when he faced Jonathan Romero, so as long as he wins he will always have options. Boxing may be the theater of the unexpected, but I think it is highly improbable that the Mexican-American goes to Ireland. Anyway, we will see what happens.

Comment

Hasegawa may win, that's what makes the fight interesting. Martinez has been out-boxed before but he has improved a lot. He applies smarter pressure, cuts the ring better and is a better finisher. He has recently collected the scalps of two pure boxers who are above average. Hasegawa isn't in his prime anymore, and he often gets into trouble because he loves to exchange.

Comment

"Martinez Talks Ri...."

Nope I'll just act like he don't even exist.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                "Martinez Talks Ri...."

The world is bigger than Boxingscene, JSFD26. Google "Kiko Martinez" "Rigondeaux" and you will find recent interviews in which Kiko mentions Rigondeaux as a priority. There's a piece of info in Boxingnews as recent as January 2014, for example. If HBO doesn't want to showcase Rigondeaux, it's not Kiko's problem. That may be the real obstacle.

Comment

Originally posted by afterpunk
                  Quote:

Originally Posted by .:: JSFD26 ::.

"Martinez Talks Ri...."

The world is bigger than Boxingscene, JSFD26. Google "Kiko Martinez" "Rigondeaux" and you will find recent interviews in which Kiko mentions Rigondeaux as a priority. There's a piece of info in Boxingnews as recent as January 2014, for example. If HBO doesn't want to showcase Rigondeaux, it's not Kiko's problem. That may be the real obstacle.
                  Youre right but there's too many bs boxing sites out there so I just stick to here.

Is Martinez vs Hasegawa gonna be on HBO? Why does Martinez care if HBO wants to Showcase Rigo or not? How many times has Kiko been on HBO?

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                    Youre right but there's too many bs boxing sites out there so I just stick to here.

Is Martinez vs Hasegawa gonna be on HBO? Why does Martinez care if HBO wants to Showcase Rigo or not? How many times has Kiko been on HBO?

I don't think it's going to be on HBO, only Japanese TV, as far as I know. Martinez fought on HBO once, when he challenged Jonathan Romero and won the IBF super bantamweight title. He has Donaire and Rigondeaux on his target list, so he should care. If he wins against Hasegawa he will probably have to face Rey Vargas, Nacho Beristain's new elite prospect. Romero, Mathebula, Hasegawa, Vargas... No soft touch. That's what an unknown champion must do to improve.

Comment

Working...
                    X