No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Segura in Heavy Handed Return: Comeback of The Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Segura in Heavy Handed Return: Comeback of The Year

By Cliff Rold - When two big punchers on a roll square off, anything can happen. On December 11, 2011, anything was a one-sided pasting.

It was the end of a hell of a run.

Giovani Segura rebounded from his first career loss to Cesar Canchila, on points, with immediate revenge. He stopped Canchila in four to begin a nine-fight knockout streak that included unifying two major titles at 108 lbs. and lifting the lineal crown from master boxer Ivan Calderon with an eighth-round knockout in the 2010 BoxingScene and Ring Magazine Fight of the Year.

After a rematch pasting of Calderon in 2011, a move to Flyweight seemed inevitable and a title shot in the higher class came against former Olympian Brian Viloria. Viloria, who found new life after an up and down run at 108, won nearly every round of the fight and laid a bad beating on Segura. [Click Here To Read More]

Beating an overmatched prospect and a Viloria victim doesn't really scream comeback of the year

Comment

Beast wars!

The aztec warrior all day

Comment

Still has Javier Capetillo in his corner......

Comment

That award should have gone to Jhonny Gonzalez after his annihilation in 1 round of the undefeated & heavy favorite world champ(at the time) Abner Mares.. It's crazy that he wasn't even mentioned...

Comment

Originally posted by Tomasio View Post
            That award should have gone to Jhonny Gonzalez after his annihilation in 1 round of the undefeated & heavy favorite world champ(at the time) Abner Mares.. It's crazy that he wasn't even mentioned...
            THIS! Gonzalez for me too and I'm not even a fan.

Comment

Segura was counted out after the fight with the "Hawaian Punch" who can upset anybody at any time.

He has fought his way back into contention the hard way. Along the way he has taking a lot of punches but has come out victories

Comment

I'd probably go with Kiko Martinez (KO'd, then scores dominating KO to win title and scores impressive first defense KO over a mandatory) but Segura would be 1A. Two of the most fun fighters to watch in boxing

Comment

Segura-Marquez was a terrific fight.

Comment

Originally posted by lutenco
                    Still has Javier Capetillo in his corner......
                    "Heavy handed" alright... If you know what I mean.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                    X