Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do trainers tell fighters to fight like Darren Barker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think we can put all the blame on the trainer here, Check. Between rounds Barkers corner was telling him "you have to let your hands go". They didn't want him to sit there like a stump taking punches. They were asking him to open up.

I got the impression Barker didn't want to open up, because he thought he would be knocked out. Ultimately, that backfired, too.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo78 View Post
      Well for one Barker won at least 3 maybe 4 rounds out of 10. Which is way more than any 'expert' was predicting, so without even seeing the fight you could say that was a master stroke from the trainer, especially considering Barker normally fights with his hands lower.

Secondly Barker had a real chance to win, sadly his stamina wasnt quite the match of MArtinez. His tactics were almost perfect, if he'd thrown another 5-8 decent punches a round he wouldve been winning the fight before the KO. No quesitn Martinez is more talented, faster, stronger etc but the fact Barker competed is testament to his heart, tactics and trainer.
      I guess....I only gave Barker at most 2 rds but it is what is is. If Barker had tried to open up more, he would have been out of there by rd 5, his entire left side was a swollen mess.

Comment

Working...
      X