Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the heavyweight division be split up into more divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the heavyweight division be split up into more divisions?

As of now a 201lb fighters could have to fight a 242lb Klitschko. That is 40lbs difference. Do you think it would make sense to make a division of 201-220lbs, then 221-250lbs?

I mean, there aren't many fighters at all above 250lbs, so it wouldn't make sense to make a division that is 250-280lbs IMO. The Klitschkos very rarely coming in at 250lbs+. Wladimir I don't think ever has, his heaviest I think was 249lbs, and he was a bit flappy at that weight. That is the thing. Thinking this way 221lbs would become to lower limit, since 221-250lbs would be the heaviest division.

I think the division should stay the same, 201+ lbs. I made the 201lb fighter fighting a much heavier fighter remark for the theory. A fighter normally would put on 10+lbs of muscle if he weights that light, or fights at cruiserweight. Plus I think that if in the lower weights ranking, welterweight for example, if an opponent can weigh 15lbs heavier on the night and still lose to the other fighter, 15lbs isn't then a huge difference at heavyweight. 20-25lbs even is not a massive difference due to the heavier weight.
    Yes (200lbs should be the entry point for the HW division.)
    52.38%
    No (there should be a heavier entry point for the HW division)
    42.86%
    I am not sure.
    4.76%

I think it would make more sense to raise the CW limit to 210 or 215 pounds,because we certainly don't need any more divisions

Its a hard sell though,i can't see it happening

Comment

No.

Some ot the smaller heavyweights should be fighting at junior heavyweight (cruiserweight): Adamek, Chambers, Chagaev, Banks, Minto, Andy Ruiz, Cunningham, etc.

HBO and Showtime should be more willing to show junior heavyweight fights, so it becomes financially worthwhile for those guys to fight at their natural weight.

Comment

Yes.

They should bump light heavyweight up to 190 and raise all the divisional limits a few pounds. Cruiserweight 190-215.

Comment

Guys want to be heavyweight champs, that's we're the money is and has always Been. I'm sure many HWs can make CW if they wanted

Comment

naturally, I'm a small Cruiserweight. When I first started boxing, I had trouble against all the 6'5+ CW's with longer reach than me. Even though I'm small at CW, it almost kills me to drop to 175 (I have to drop 20 lbs). There are Middleweights over 6'3 and I can't even get down to super middleweight at 5'11. I would like a division between LHW and CW, like "Light Cruiserweight", but from a fan's perspective, there are already too many divisions, so no.

Comment

You're kidding, right?

The last thing this ****ing sport needs is more weightclasses.

Comment

The heavyweight class is an "OPEN Division"! Theres no weight limits for the class and thats the way it should be!!! The Heavyweight Champ is the premier Title to hold and if a 165 pound man wants a shot and earns it then he should have it!!!! The greatest heavies have generally weighed 190 to 215 in their prime! Because the division is in recession for the last 15 years and the titlists are over 235 doesn't mean that their weight has allowed them any advantage!! The problem is that there isn't 6 quality heavies in the world today!!! Skill level, talent and heart with the will to win is the heavyweight creed not how much a man weighs!!! Ray Corso

Comment

No.

Size when it comes to being above 200lbs can become a double edged sword, yes you may be bigger and stronger at 250, but you'll be trading that of for speed, athleticism and endurance. This is what usually happens when you go up in weight but the rate at which it changes once you get above 200 is much quicker. Chris Byrd a natural 168lb fighter backed up and stopped big VK at 250lbs.

Comment

At one time the minimum weight was 175lbs. It's now at 200lbs.

I think it should be raised in line with the increase in average height and weight of the population and fighters in the division compared to when it was set at 200lb.

I wouldn't consider a man of just over 14 stone to be a big man.

Comment

Working...
                    X