No announcement yet.

would you say whitaker was more skilled fighter then roy jones

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as talented?

no. jones had every bit of whitaker's speed and reflexes coupled with serious physical strength and knockout power.

as skilled?
    yes. pernell whitaker is much more skilled than roy jones in my opinion. roy relied almost exclusively on his ability to beat a man to the punch.

Comment

No brainer. Whitaker was more well rounded than Jones. Outside of footwork... James Toney was more well rounded than Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
        it's than ..not then
        oh, **** just got real.

Comment

Sweat Pea was by far the more technically skilled/gifted fighter, but RJJ was by far the more athletically gifted

Comment

Originally posted by boxingking500 View Post
            in your opinion

1. who was a more skilled fighter/talanted... whitaker or Roy Jones

2. who has a better legacy/accomplishments?
            Whitaker was more skilled and talented, hands down, without a question in my mind. While Roy, was more gifted athletically and as a result his speed and reflexes were matchless. And for most of his fights that was enough to easily outshine his opponents, but when that quickness and the timing that came with it slowed, he didn't have enough skill as a boxer to keep from getting flattened. Whereas Whitaker was quick, sure, but he was also polished into a magnificent defensive fighter that didn't rely completely on his quickness like Jones did.

As to legacy I always feel a bit uncomfortable comparing them in fighters, yeah one may be clearly better than another but both gave so much to the sport and both were great champions....

Comment

so many people try to say that roy wasn't skilled, he was just an athlete and that is just so wrong. he did a lot of unorthodox things but he was also supremely skilled. he threw amazing combinations. he was very good fighting off the ropes. great footwork. etc.

i would say whitaker was maybe more skilled but he needed to be. he didn't have the speed or power that roy had. but whitaker also did a lot of unorthodox things that he was able to get away with. he dropped his hands and clowned just as much as roy did.

Comment

Whitaker was more skilled, Jones was gifted WIth his speed and TALENT.

Whitaker fought the better opponents
                Last edited by TOBYLEE1; 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Roy Jones has a better resume
                  Roy Jones is more talented
                  Roy Jones is more skilled
                  Roy Jones has the better overall legacy

Comment

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
                    so many people try to say that roy wasn't skilled, he was just an athlete and that is just so wrong. he did a lot of unorthodox things but he was also supremely skilled. he threw amazing combinations. he was very good fighting off the ropes. great footwork. etc.

i would say whitaker was maybe more skilled but he needed to be. he didn't have the speed or power that roy had. but whitaker also did a lot of unorthodox things that he was able to get away with. he dropped his hands and clowned just as much as roy did.
                    yea man i complete agree. roy was athletically gifted yes, but the guy was boxing since he was 9 years old. thats pretty disrespectful to say that all he had was the physical gifts, roy trained his ass off for years and people act like **** was given to him.

personally though i would say whitaker is more skilled, but roy is more accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingking500 View Post
                      i think prime for prime, if they were the same weight and they fought, do you think jones could really get pass pernell's defence?
                      Whitaker was more skilled, both were showmen in the ring. Roy struggled/struggles late in his career because he relied on natural talent.

Comment

Working...
                      X