Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Floyd's Popularity a product of other stars? How will a LHW Floyd sell?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Floyd's Popularity a product of other stars? How will a LHW Floyd sell?

A lot of people say it's because of Floyd's self promotion/bad personality that makes people watch him.

I disagree. I think that obviously accounts for some of it, but it's mainly because there are a good handful of stars around his weight classes throughout the years which enhances his marketability.

Oscar/Pacquaio/JMM/Hatton/Cotto are all big reasons why his personality+being surrounded by other stars make him a superstar.

Say same Floyd/ same personality/ same skills.. but a career 175 LHW..

How will a LHW Floyd sell? He gonna break 2 million PPV Buys fighting Chad Dawson? Or 1.4 Million going against Travious Cloud?

He don't have to fight Pacquaio to become more popular. Throughout the years.. just the linking of those two names enhanced their marketability many times over.

The aura of a potential 'super fight' makes people watch both of them... They reaped off each other.

I honestly don't see how Floyd can sell in a dead division(star power wise) despite his magnetic demeanor.
    Huge Impact
    52.38%
    Decent Impact- it's 50/50. Half is Floyd's Personality. Half is other stars
    28.57%
    Small Impact. It's mostly Floyd
    14.29%
    No Impact.. Floyd will be #1 PPV in any division
    4.76%
    Last edited by Skittlez; 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM.

I was torn between small impact and decent impact. I went with decent impact. It does make a difference who Floyd fights as to how much money he makes and the fight makes. However, he is such an important fighter that he could fight almost anybody and make big money but not nearly as much money as him fighting a very popular fighter like Canelo, Cotto or Pacquiao.

Comment

I'm not gonna go as far to say that Floyd doesn't have part in it because he sales himself as the bad guy and people just love to hate him and wanna see him lose because of his personality, but he is not able to carry a PPV on his own.

He always has another big name to help him (Cotto,Mosely, especially DeLaHoya) If he fights the likes of Guerrero or Alexander the sales will reflect unless he has another name like Canelo or another really attractive fight on the undercard.

His first huge payday was the DeLaHoya fight where Oscar was the bigger draw which is why he dictated the terms and got the bigger share.

If you look back the numbers may look similar from that point, the difference is Oscar could have fought a cab driver and it would sale, and much like Tiger Woods he would bring in the casual fan like only Mike Tyson could do.

The thing alot of people don't take into to consideration, is Floyd also has the advantage of social media that Oscar and Mike never had, to go with the inflation in PPV prices. There was a time ealry in Oscar and Mikes where fights were on close circuit and there was no PPV.

I know this is gonna sound like hate it really isn't, all I'm saying is that Floyd is strategic in the fact that he fights on the 2 biggest Mexiacn holidays of the year taking over Oscar's dates after his career and he has another big name to help. If he fights Alexander he will have to have another name on the undercard or the sales will reflect.

Comment

There aren't too many superstar boxers that have claimed "superstardom" without a good supporting cast of big names rivals. Tyson & Leonard are the only 2 guys that i can think of in recent memory, who's popularity wasn't built off the back of an incumbent superstar or iconic figure in the sport.

If Floyd had no name fighters or "superstars" avaliable to him throughout the course of his career, i don't care how much shit he talks, or how he'd try to market himself, in this boxing climate, he would have a fraction of the drawing power he enjoys today. And the same applies to Pac & De La Hoya.

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
          A lot of people say it's because of Floyd's self promotion/bad personality that makes people watch him.

I disagree. I think that obviously accounts for some of it, but it's mainly because there are a good handful of stars around his weight classes throughout the years which enhances his marketability.

Oscar/Pacquaio/JMM/Hatton/Cotto are all big reasons why his personality+being surrounded by other stars make him a superstar.

Say same Floyd/ same personality/ same skills.. but a career 175 LHW..

How will a LHW Floyd sell? He gonna break 2 million PPV Buys fighting Chad Dawson? Or 1.4 Million going against Travious Cloud?

He don't have to fight Pacquaio to become more popular. Throughout the years.. just the linking of those two names enhanced their marketability many times over.

The aura of a potential 'super fight' makes people watch both of them... They reaped off each other.

I honestly don't see how Floyd can sell in a dead division(star power wise) despite his magnetic demeanor.
          Floyd fans crack me up.

Comment

He piggy backs off of Mexican fighters & Manny Pacquiao's name.

Pacquiao would have destroyed Mayweather prime for prime.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtThouFurious? View Post
              There aren't too many superstar boxers that have claimed "superstardom" without a good supporting cast of big names rivals. Tyson & Leonard are the only 2 guys that i can think of in recent memory, who's popularity wasn't built off the back of an incumbent superstar or iconic figure in the sport.

If Floyd had no name fighters or "superstars" avaliable to him throughout the course of his career, i don't care how much shit he talks, or how he'd try to market himself, in this boxing climate, he would have a fraction of the drawing power he enjoys today. And the same applies to Pac & De La Hoya.
              At least Pac and ODLH have appealing styles to the casual fan.

Comment

A LHW Floyd would be more boring than Chad Dawson.

Comment

At light heavyweight he could also call out Froch, Ward, Bute, Dirrell, Pascal, and Hopkins for a fight. Providing he kept on winning his figures would be respectable.

Comment

Oscar De La Hoya made the 140-154 weight division the most popular in the sport, and that's also due to the fact that the biggest weight classes haven't been the same in a long time. It's just perfect timing.

Comment

Working...
                    X