Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throwing the left hook-plant on the left foot, or back foot??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
    When you throw a left hook, or left uppercut, the weight ends up on your right leg. Then you can throw a right hand. When you throw a right hand, the weight ends up on your left foot, so you can throw a left hook.
    That's an excellent way to look at it. The are exceptions of course, but in terms of momentum and power, it's important to pay attention to those shifts.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
      so its like this, you throw a right straight, and your back foot heel comes off the ground.

as you return to normal stance from throwing the right straight, you bring your back foot heel down flat, and pivot with your lead foot as you throw the hook.

your weight is over your lead foot a little but the foot your actually planting flat is your back foot.

planting this stiffens the punch and makes your whole body more ridged/sturdy, making the punch harder.
      this is exactly how he was showing me and how i feel it is more effective when i do it.

Comment

Originally posted by chris5 View Post
        this is exactly how he was showing me and how i feel it is more effective when i do it.
        this is just the basic hook and how it should be throw in the 1-2-3 combo.

there are diffrent ways to throw the hook, but they are mainly based on a feeling. Like the basic hook is a sound punch that works very well, but with the other hooks your really need alot of experience and knowledge to know how and when to throw them.

for now work to master the left hook your coach teaches, if you find it hard to throw on the heavy bag, i find the speed bag works alot better for praticing hooks.

Comment

yeah I agree here - pushing with front foot and planting the back foot. its more like squeezing the back leg's hamstrings and butock..

Comment

The left hook is generally the follow up of a straight right..

A straight right has your front foot planted and the back foot pivoting and driving off the ground...as you snap it, the weight begins to transfer to the back foot and the front foot pivots and drives to the right along with the torque, it's a much more powerful shot when the back foot is planted.

Comment

lean foward, towards your left(chin should go some ways past the left/lead foot) and bend knee's

then come up and across with your left, weight is on front foot as you lean foward and push off it and torque you're ankle on the come up

keep practicing the left hook and it is your lead/left leg that will start to fail first, your back leg does not come into play until the end of the hook as you fall back onto it if at all as a powerful left hook artist will jump foward with the punch
              Last edited by TriggerItch; 06-11-2012, 07:52 AM.

Comment

To whoever says that your weight should be on your lead foot when throwing the hook, has no business teaching anything boxing.

I have one question to ask, if you have all your weight on your front foot when throwing a hook, how are you supposed to turn your back heel and pivot your hips to throw the right hand after the left hook?

Weight should go from both legs to the rear leg so you can turn your lead foot and turn your hips over to gain power and technique on the lead hook. Not all the weight but I would say about 70%.

Throwing proper punches is about doing a little choreographed dance almost, switching weight from foot to foot to maximize technique and power.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  To whoever says that your weight should be on your lead foot when throwing the hook, has no business teaching anything boxing.

I have one question to ask, if you have all your weight on your front foot when throwing a hook, how are you supposed to turn your back heel and pivot your hips to throw the right hand after the left hook?

Weight should go from both legs to the rear leg so you can turn your lead foot and turn your hips over to gain power and technique on the lead hook. Not all the weight but I would say about 70%.

Throwing proper punches is about doing a little choreographed dance almost, switching weight from foot to foot to maximize technique and power.
                  come on man, dont come at me like that and then say stuff like "turn your back heel"
                  you dont turn your back foot when you throw a left hook, you pivot and turn the front foot, and if you didn't have the majority of the weight(whether 70% or w/e else) on the front foot to start then what is the point of turning off the lead foot? the point of pivoting, pushing off, is to transfer weight/force from the foot

to start, lead foot has the weigh on it, you pivot off the lead foot and yes, it can travel to the back foot to end, but that's usually if you are puncing in place and will not happen often(considering you're throwing a proper hook) unless you miss and need the back foot as you fall back on it

tell me what you see here

Comment

Originally posted by TriGaFinGa View Post
                    come on man, dont come at me like that and then say stuff like "turn your back heel"
                    you dont turn your back foot when you throw a left hook, you pivot and turn the front foot, and if you didn't have the majority of the weight(whether 70% or w/e else) on the front foot to start then what is the point of turning off the lead foot? the point of pivoting, pushing off, is to transfer weight/force from the foot

to start, lead foot has the weigh on it, you pivot off the lead foot and yes, it can travel to the back foot to end, but that's usually if you are puncing in place and will not happen often(considering you're throwing a proper hook) unless you miss and need the back foot as you fall back on it
                    Good lord..................

TURN YOUR BACK HEEL ON THE RIGHT HAND.... AS IN FOLLOWING THE LEFT HOOK WITH THE RIGHT HAND.

Come on man, you have to READ my posts completely. If you have all your weight on your front foot, how the hell are you supposed to turn your back heal when throwing the right hand follow?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                      Good lord..................

TURN YOUR BACK HEEL ON THE RIGHT HAND.... AS IN FOLLOWING THE LEFT HOOK WITH THE RIGHT HAND.

Come on man, you have to READ my posts completely. If you have all your weight on your front foot, how the hell are you supposed to turn your back heal when throwing the right hand follow?
                      my bad then, your opening sentence was misleading

Comment

Working...
                      X