No announcement yet.

Will it be good or bad for Boxing if Canelo wins tonight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it be good or bad for Boxing if Canelo wins tonight

For the first time in years a Boxing fight is so hyped in the mainstream media. Everybody on the web is going crazy and talking about it. Celebrities tweeting about it to the millions of followers they have and the fight reaches to the non boxing fans. I even heard here in Romania two guys talking about the fight in a bar last night.
    So what if Canelo wins? He will be bigger than life in Mexico and among mexican americans but can he become a mainstream star in America like Floyd became after the DLH fight? What about the long term health for the sport? After Pacquaio got smoked Floyd is the only man that puts Boxing on the mainstream map. Mayweather has generated hundreds of millions and a lot of attention to our sport thanks to his mouth and his persona outside of the ring while Canelo seems to be much more humble and relaxed in the media, plus he cant speak english and its gonna take a couple of years till he will be able to hold interviews in english.

Your thoughts?

btw sorry for my ****ed up english, its not my native language

anytime the young lion comes up to challenge for the throne it's a good thing. if he wins boxing has his new golden boy to carry the sport for however long until the next guy comes.

Comment

In the eyes of casuals boxing will be "dead and buried" but real boxing fans will still love the sport.

It would be best for business though if Mayweather keeps the 0.

Comment

"Def best for business" - Triple H
        if Mayweather wins by KO, then everyone will be hyped saying his GOAT and haters will be enraged ready to throw Matthyse or Martinez at him for his next May fight, which will still be big
        Cuz the whole thing is can anyone shut Mayweathers mouth of his 0 thats the $$$

Comment

I don't think it'd be entirely bad for boxing but it'll be absolutely terrible for showtime if Mayweather loses that '0'. That's pretty much the reason for his drawing power. Even if he loses, showtime still owes him 30 mil per fight and there's no way they'll get that money back for them if he loses.

Comment

the kid is a superstar.

itll be like floyd taking oscars crown.

but canelo is nowhere near to what floyd is making. unless canelo can sing like oscar

Comment

good, an exciting, good looking, undefeated, megastar that knocks out his opponents and doesnt duck anyone? Definitely a step up

Comment

lots of people want to see mayweather lose. he plays a "heel" role.

i wouldn't be surprised if canelo becomes a bonafide star if he beats mayweather, especially via knockout.

people have short attention spans. very few of them are willing to watch an entire boxing match. a highlight reel kayo is all that people really knew of tyson when he was a mainstream star. they'd watch the fights, but they were often short.
                Last edited by New England; 09-14-2013, 03:36 PM. Reason: hell to heel.

Comment

It would have a big impact in the sports world, and since Canelo is white (and working on his english) I think he would be able to break into the american mainstream after that win. So it would be good in the sense that a lot of people would suddenly start talking about boxing, and there would be a HIGHLY ANTICIPATED rematch. But if Floyd wins, it would help solidify his status as a sports icon, it's good for boxing to have a dominant P4P champ that everyone knows and can refer to.

So either outcome would be good for the sport.

Comment

All I'm going to say is...

Chavez--->Whitaker--->DeLaHoya--->Mayweather--->Canelo?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of controversy or robbery so that the American vs Mexican war story continues.

Comment

Working...
                    X