Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much more Mayweather needs to do to be serious candidate for GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
    I don't think you understand the thread really.

i dont think you get what the history section is for.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      He's not a true Welterweight. Being too small would be a big decider in a a lot of matches against true Welterweights.
      I think he'd struggle against the likes of Hearns, Ray Leonard and obviously Robinson amongst others.

But in recent years I've felt that Floyd has looked pretty damn big and strong as a welterweight. I fancy his chances against many welterwights in history.

Comment

Please, explain.
        the history section is not for the discussion of current fighters. check out the stickies at the top of the thread.

it's where you head to discuss seriously any historic ranking, but that's just impossible to determine when a fighter is active.

thus no active fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
          I was gonna say Pac, Martinez, and Ward. The dawson bhop winner is just ludicrous.

My whole post was ludicrous to be honest! I don't think its possible for Floyd to be considered the GOAT by the majority of fans/historians from this point forward. He'll go down as one of the most talented boxers ever and arguably the best pound for pound boxer of the last decade regardless of what happens in his next five fights.

That will be more than enough to secure his legacy in the sport.

Realistically, it would take a series of ridiculous wins to bring him into GOAT contention.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            My whole post was ludicrous to be honest! I don't think its possible for Floyd to be considered the GOAT by the majority of fans/historians from this point forward. He'll go down as one of the most talented boxers ever and arguably the best pound for pound boxer of the last decade regardless of what happens in his next five fights.

Realistically, it would take a series of ridiculous wins to bring him into GOAT contention.
            I wish people could understand this. I'm sick of arguing with Floyd fans who think I'm insulting him by saying he simply doesn't belong in the GOAT conversation.

Comment

Id like to see him take another couple fights at 154 then challenge sergio at 160 and retire.

Comment

All it would take is a 2 wins against Pacquiao with at least 1 of them being a dominant win

Comment

I think he'd struggle against the likes of Hearns, Ray Leonard and obviously Robinson amongst others.

But in recent years I've felt that Floyd has looked pretty damn big and strong as a welterweight. I fancy his chances against many welterwights in history.
                  I think he does a lot better at 135, he was stronger and hit much harder. At the lower weights his movement was better and he opted to play the aggressor much more still having as much defensive qualities as he does now. I think he's a bit cleverer at this weight but not a massive difference. Just a tad more patient and wasting very little shots to a bigger extent.

Comment

I'd like Floyd to settle in a weight class, unify and defend the undisputed championship a couple of times. Especially if he unfies 147 versus Pacquiao, that would be a very nice end of career run without having to over-extend himself against bigger opponents like Martinez.

Comment

Thread wasn't started to discuss Floyd Mayweather Jr. really, it was started to discuss achievements of the greatest fighters to show how much they are above best fighter in our era. Thus a question, how much more fantasy, or ludicrous things Floyd would have to do to put himself in position of GOAT.
                      It looks like legit history section thread to me, but hey, maybe I indeed don't understand what this section is for. I don't see others complaning so far though...

they demonstrate a level of restraint that you wont see from me.

i shouldn't pile on your thread. it's something we've seen before and i suppose i was quick to jump on it.

there are folk in NSB who genuinely believe that floyd is the greatest boxer of all time. they have no business being here or discussing a fighter in the historic context. in the past they've cluttered this forum (they and those like them,) in threads simmilar to your own.

i remember a stretch here where ever single thread in the history section involved vitali klistchko. eventually they were deleted.

Comment

Working...
                      X