No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The State of The Game: The Fights We Do Get

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: The State of The Game: The Fights We Do Get

By Cliff Rold - We didn’t get Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao, at least not when it mattered most. Maybe one day we’ll get the Jones-Hopkins II version.

It’s not quite the same.

It increasingly looks like, at least for now, we aren’t going to get Nonito Donaire-Abner Mares. Given the postponement of Danny Garcia-Zab Judah, the chance of seeing Lucas Matthysse getting a major fight is surely backed up. In a week where Yuriorkis Gamboa is linked to a PED scandal, we are reminded of how his once red-hot fight with Juan Manuel Lopez went from marinating to rotting on the vine.

One of boxing’s most familiar complaints is sure to be heard: boxing’s best just don’t fight each other. The best fights aren’t made, or at least are not made when they should be.

Sometimes, it’s even true.

The above are all examples that can be pointed too. The truth is there are always great matches that fail to come together with varying levels of scrutiny. For instance, what would the world have said if there had been an internet in the late 1930s? Henry Armstrong, easily one of the ten best fighters ever to lace gloves, reeled off a still-record eighteen consecutive title defenses at Welterweight. [Click Here To Read More]

Not trying to hear all that. This is the here and now. We DO have the luxury of the Internet, and as fans, we should be able to demand the fights we want to see. Besides, it's not even like we're asking for the moon and the sun. We're only asking for the champs to fight their mandatories.
    Last edited by Scarcaztic; 01-31-2013, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Am I the only who isn't disappointed with Rigo v Donaire (assuming thats all finalized and in the bag)? I still think thats a good fight and a lot of people accused Donaire of ducking Rigo (prior to the Mares accusations, as far as I recall), so at least he's fighting one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by r__mutt View Post
        Am I the only who isn't disappointed with Rigo v Donaire (assuming thats all finalized and in the bag)? I still think thats a good fight and a lot of people accused Donaire of ducking Rigo (prior to the Mares accusations, as far as I recall), so at least he's fighting one of them.
        I agree i prefer this match but i love pure boxing as much as a brawl if not more and rigo has some pure boxing skill and even tho he has only fought what like 12 pro fights he is still experienced to the fullest. i think its just the principle that top rank and golden boy are both ruining so many matches that could be made. Not to mention after that fight the winner which will probably be donaire still wont fight mares even if he follows him up in weight. well see what happens just wish GBP and TR would take there ego's out of it and even tho we all like to blame arum it does not help when richard constantly bad mouths top rank just to make himself look better. its almost like he wants arum to stay his course and not make fights so he can just blame arum. im not convinced richard wants the fights anymore then arum

Comment

Where can i get some of that Deer Antler Spray???
          Has anyone told pur Hero. El Roidweather about it???

Comment

Rigo vs Donaire is the much better fight. With all due respect, in this one instance, Mares can go **** himself.

Only problem is this might be a very boring fight.

Comment

That is why I never get to hung up on certain fights, because there will always be other quality fights so pining over what may never come is a waste of time when there is so much more out there to take note of.

Also it is always fun to think about if information was as freely available in different eras what would have been said about different fights and fighters~

Comment

Hey as cheated as I've felt as a boxing fan seeing horrendous decisions and big fights get swallowed by politics, at least the matchmaking on espn2 has been plus so far this year. I'm among those not thrilled at the announcement of Rios Alvarado 2 as I think there are more intriguing fights out there for both men. Since we are getting it though, they really need to schedule it for 12 this time.

Comment

Working...
                X