I'm not too excited about the next generation of boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    Anybody else feel this way?

First off, this isn't one of those "boxing is dead" threads. So if you came here looking for that, you can click "back" right about.....now.

Alright, onto the thread.

I'm simply not excited about any of these new guys who are supposed to be the next generation of good boxers. Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

None of them grab me, they all seem to be a bunch of very rusty, very easy to figure out kids who don't have any love for the sport. I think half of them will end up getting destroyed by pretty much any top 10 fighter in their division right now.

Boxing seemed so much better when I started watching it in '95. We had all kinds of talent, everywhere. From '95-'05 we had guys like Jones, Hopkins, Toney, Mayweather, Barrera, Morales, Pacquiao, Marquez, Lewis, Holyfield, De La Hoya, Whitaker, Trinidad, Lopez, etc, etc, etc....

These guys dominated everybody in sight.

I look at this new crop of guys who are supposed to be their replacements in the future......Guys like Andre Berto, Robert Guerrero, Juan Manuel Lopez, Juan Diaz, etc.... And I feel.....nothing.

They're alright kids, and I'll watch them fight no doubt, but I don't connect with any of them, the way I did so many guys throughout the 90's.

I can't see myself ever cheering for one of them the way I cheered that night I lept out of my recliner when Hopkins knocked out Trinidad, or the way I screamed at the Television in support of Barrera the night he fought Morales the first time, or the way I've turned down sex for a Roy Jones or Pernell whitaker fight.

I just can't ever see myself connecting with any of these kids.

I know they're young yet, and I know that all legends are made the same way.

But I just don't connect to any of these kids.

Does anybody else get what I'm trying to say here?

Maybe it's you who has changed Bringer??? I don't get excited for lots of things anymore like I used to..

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post
      I think is just that we arre living in a different culture.

But a bunch of this guys, brings a lot of excitement.

I think was happening with you is that all your favorite fighter are retire or are soon to be and you were more of a fan of them than the actuall sport(no Offense).

Somebody will catch your eye again!!!!!!!!!!
      I'm a diehard fan of the sport. It's not about my personal favorites retiring, I mentioned a ton of guys I can't stand. (Oscar, Trinidad, Toney, Pacquiao, etc...).

I don't think these kids love the sport. Like ElPacman said, I think they're in it for a good payday, and then they'll likely walk.

I can't ever see Alfredo Angulo, James Kirkland, Abner Mares, Andre Berto, Robert Guerrero, Juan Diaz, etc..... cementing a legacy like a Jones or a Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
        Maybe it's you who has changed Bringer??? I don't get excited for lots of things anymore like I used to..
        This may be true. But I don't think I'll ever stop loving the sport. I mean, it's as much a part of my identity as my name. I can't ever see myself not loving it.

And I still get excited for it. When Marquez knocked out Diaz, I was screaming like a maniac.

Same thing when Shane knocked out Margarito.

I still get excited about it.

I just don't think these new kids will go that far.

I like them though. I really like watching Lopez fight.

Maybe in a couple years I'll change my tune.

Comment

the new guys are boring though...for the most part.

when roy walked to the ring on Saturday it felt special, there was a mystique...you knew you were watching a legend.

I don't get that from watching Gamboa...lol

Comment

Two words

AMIR KHAN!!!!

the future of boxing

Comment

I agree somewhat... I think the 90's - early 2000's is slightly underpraised as a great boxing era though

the likes of Linares, Ortiz, Juanma Lopez, Jacobs, even Haye/Povetkin/Dimitrenko all have potential to be good champions however

and new prospects/stars are always appearing

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                I'm a diehard fan of the sport. It's not about my personal favorites retiring, I mentioned a ton of guys I can't stand. (Oscar, Trinidad, Toney, Pacquiao, etc...).

I don't think these kids love the sport. Like ElPacman said, I think they're in it for a good payday, and then they'll likely walk.

I can't ever see Alfredo Angulo, James Kirkland, Abner Mares, Andre Berto, Robert Guerrero, Juan Diaz, etc..... cementing a legacy like a Jones or a Hopkins.
                I think Juanma, Ortiz ahve the potential to do it.

Juanma already stated that he wants to be atleast lineal champ in 4 divisions if hecan. So you know he is going for it.

But i kind of understand what you saying, they just go for the flashiness and the Money. You can thank Floyd and DLH for that!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
                  the new guys are boring though...for the most part.

when roy walked to the ring on Saturday it felt special, there was a mystique...you knew you were watching a legend.

I don't get that from watching Gamboa...lol
                  Ya, but Gamboa only has what? 14 fights under his belt? Give him time. He can go on to be great, as long as he maintains the hunger and need to fight the best, well after he's had a great paycheck and possibly tastes defeat for the first time. A guy I can see jumping out of the sport as soon as he hits a nice check, is someone like BJ Flores for example. I see him on ESPN talking his bs, and I see a guy who what? Was trying to be a pro football player that switched to boxing? Possibly he wasn't good enough for football, so he switches to boxing just for a nice paycheck, then he's gonna leave, just watch. So many are like that now. The youngins I believe will stick it out, are the upcoming Mexican fighters. Mexicans don't take a paycheck and quit. They just don't.

Comment

Originally posted by ELPacman View Post
                    Ya, but Gamboa only has what? 14 fights under his belt? Give him time. He can go on to be great, as long as he maintains the hunger and need to fight the best, well after he's had a great paycheck and possibly tastes defeat for the first time. A guy I can see jumping out of the sport as soon as he hits a nice check, is someone like BJ Flores for example. I see him on ESPN talking his bs, and I see a guy who what? Was trying to be a pro football player that switched to boxing? Possibly he wasn't good enough for football, so he switches to boxing just for a nice paycheck, then he's gonna leave, just watch. So many are like that now. The youngins I believe will stick it out, are the upcoming Mexican fighters. Mexicans don't take a paycheck and quit. They just don't.
                    Thats true, my bad.

Comment

Paul Wiliams
                      David Haye
                      Chad Dawson
                      James Jirkland
                      Andre Berto
                      Timothy Bradley

plenty of excitement to come. If you're not excited STOP watching!

Comment

Working...
                      X