No announcement yet.

Boxers Who Lift Weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers Who Lift Weights?

This topic is always a heated debated one. Should or shound't boxers lift weights?

Lets name some fighters who actually do or did lift weights during there careers?

Here's a few.......
    -Arthur Abraham
    -Gene Tunney
    -Kosta Tszyu
    -Archie Moore
    -Terry Norris
    -Roy Jones Jr
    -Shane Mosley

Tyson started getting into weightlifting after prison
    Evander Holyfield
    Frank Bruno

Comment

can we put only boxers who lift weights in their prime?

because it gives a better chance of answering the question of whether or not weights is really good for a fighter

Comment

im not sure, but i think ricky hatton did.

Comment

Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
          im not sure, but i think ricky hatton did.
          You're right, he did.

I didn't know Archie Moore lifted weights, though. Was that while he was a light heavyweight or only when he used to move up to heavyweight?

Comment

I read in an article that Ariza had Manny P. lifting but it didn't say to what extent. It did state that Manny could bench 315 lbs, which is really impressive for his size.

Comment

Originally posted by norrin View Post
              I read in an article that Ariza had Manny P. lifting but it didn't say to what extent. It did state that Manny could bench 315 lbs, which is really impressive for his size.
              manny said he does not lift weights at all

Comment

Originally posted by norrin View Post
                I've heard that Vic Darchinyan can bench press even more than that. I forget the exact number but it was well into the 300's. Needless to say, that is just mindblowing.

Comment

Michael Nunn lifted weights, said he never really had much power until he started training at Gold's Gym

Comment

Originally posted by tehMatrix View Post
                    manny said he does not lift weights at all
                    I cannot attest for the accuracy of the statement but it came from WikiAnswerser (I thought I seen it somewhere else):

"Prior to the Hatton fight, Manny Pacquiao bench pressed the standard bar with three 45 pound plates on each side. That's 315 pounds. He did one full rep, lowered for a second rep, but could not push it back up on his own for the second rep.

Fighters weighing 150 pounds who can bench 225 (2 plates on each side) are considered strong for their sizes. Pacquiao, at about 150 "walk around" pounds, benches 90 pounds more. This explains why Pacquiao is so fast and powerful, as speed, and therefore power, is a function of strength-to-weight ratio.

A more interestingly, based on the fact that Pacquiao can bench 315 lb, we can extrapolate that he would be able to bench 225 lb approximately 12 times!"

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_c...ao_bench_press

And yes, Ariza did put Pacquiao through some resistance training - which is still considered taboo in many boxing circles.

"I do use weights, but in the sense that they're not for cosmetic reasons," says Ariza, who stays away from compound lifts such as the bench press and military press. He believes in high reps with movements that will benefit a boxer inside the ring. "They're more to develop a quicker, faster response, a faster twitch-muscle fiber. They're designed to target those things like that. So the idea behind using light weight is also for flexibility and to develop a faster reflex."

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index....sity-training/

Comment

Working...
                    X