No announcement yet.

Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaded View Post
    Just finished watching Life of Pi. I had no idea this movie was as good as it is...my pick for movie of the year hands down.
    wished id seen it in 3d at the cinema.

saw the hobbit instead.

which was great

Comment

• dredd

this film smells and feels like that indonesian film, raid redemption... well, the protagonist in redemption had no mask on so we the audience could see some emotions there like fear creeping in while he was hiding behind the wall from those hoodlums... whereas in dredd, the hero is almost devoid of it and as a result i found myself empathising more with the rookie chick than dredd himself...

the action scenes were bloody fun but i really got disappointed when ma-ma's right hand guy was pasted by dredd rather easily... i expected a bit more from the character...

anyway, it was still good and fun to watch...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
        lol. Just one word needed. Creepy. I watched that years ago when doing a dissertation for Lost Highway.
        Definitely creepy.

I always liked Lost Highway. I saw it in theaters when it came out and later had it on VHS. Of course, like almost all his films I really didn't get WTF was going with everthing, but the last scene always reminded me of O.J. getting chased on the freeway. So it bugged me out when I read recently that Lynch alluded to O.J. as partial inspiration for the script!

In Lynch's book "Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity" he describes "Lost Highway," for example, in a way that seems perfectly clear when you watch it:

At the time Barry Gifford and I were writing the script for "Lost Highway," I was sort of obsessed with the O.J. Simpson trial. Barry and I never talked about it this way, but I think the film is somehow related to that.

What struck me about O.J. Simpson was that he was able to smile and laugh. He was able to go golfing with seemingly very few problems about the whole thing. I wondered how, if a person did these deeds, he could go on living. And we found this great psychology term -- "psychogenic fugue" -- describing an event where the mind tricks itself to escape some horror. So, in a way, "Lost Highway" is about that. And the fact that nothing can stay hidden forever.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2...nd_empire.html

Comment

• anybody seen the movie counterpunch????? the movie was weird but it says it was based on a true story

Comment

• FASTER

THe Rock, Billy Bob Thornton

The Rock goes on a no holds-barred, must kill by any means necessary rampage, after a group of guys hold up him and a person someone important to him... THey kill this other person in front of him. The Rock goes to jail, and when he gets out, he goes on a pissed off wrecking mission to take care of every guy involved with killing his friend.

Actually a good flick, good acting, and some "holy ****" scenes I did not expect from a Rock movie.

7.8/10

Comment

• The Pianist

It's based on the life of Wladyslaw Szpilman, a Polish musician during WW2. Written by Ron Howard and directed by Roman Polanski.

Not sure how I had never seen this one as it's been out for almost 11 years now but I'm glad I finally saw it. It was very well done and from what I've read from Szpilman's memoirs, it seems to quite accurately display his story. It really made me feel like I was in the ghetto in Warsaw back when this was happening. I'd recommend this to anyone who has any interest in WW2.

Comment

• Seven Samurai

I'm not gonna give a review as I normally do, I'm just gonna say this is one of the most beautiful and amazing films I've ever seen. I was blow away and glad I finally saw it.

Comment

• The Crime of Padre Amaro (2002)
                  Gael Garcia Bernal is a young priest who has improper relations with a pretty teenage girl. As perverted as that sounds, the sordid story was the main reason for me checkin out this solidly made Mexican film. The movie makes some interesting points about the church, but honestly, it wasn't the film I thought it was gonna be. Not that I was expecting a sleaze fest, but the focus on the couple was only part of the movie. Still a decent flick though. 6.5-7/10

Shamus (1973)
                  Most of the younger dudes here probably only know Burt Reynolds as the old pr0n director in Boogie Nights and don't remember him in his prime when he was making flicks like the Smokey and the Bandit series or one of my favorite sports movies of all times, the O.G. version of The Longest Yard. Shamus is one of his lesser films, to be sure, but I still enjoyed this one very much, especially since it's a '70s film and I really do dig the vibe of '70s movies. Plus, a lot of average to just above average films of the '70s, still kick the ass of most average movies coming out today, IMO.

This is a modern film noir type of flick with Burt as a private detective who lives in a run-down apartment and who bangs mad chicks because, well he's a detective and he's Burt Reynolds in his prime. He gets a case involving stolen diamonds and like most noir movies, he goes around town asking questions, beating people up and getting beat up. Some of the highlights are scenes that reference old classic movies (there's a bookstore scene that's an homage to Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep) and seeing Burt do a lot of his own stunts. You also get a chance to see Laker fan Dyan Cannon in an actual movie. Like I said, it's just above average, but I liked it. 7/10

The Stranger (1946)
                  Orson Welles truly is one of the master filmmakers. I know some young people can't fully understand why older films (and boxers) get props and think they are overrated merely out of sentimentality or whatever. But really you only have to see 5 minutes of Citizen Kane or the opening of Touch of Evil to see how talented Orson Welles truly was. Here, Wells plays a Nazi fugitive accused of war crimes trying to hide out in small American town. The use of shadows is next level, and some of the film has a Hitchcock sort of feel. I plan on seeing this again, though, before giving it a rating, as there are parts I want to revisit.

Comment

• The Young Poisoner's Handbook (1995)
                    Really good British film based on true events. Even better if you're a fan of Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. Young sinister kid (who looks like a cross between Frodo and Eminem) takes his chemistry hobby too far. Recommended. 9/10

La Lengua Asesina aka Killer Tongue (1996)
                    Another one of those random movies that ends up on my Netflix and makes me wonder, "WTF is this doing on here?" It's a Spanish movie about a woman who has some sort of space alien living inside her and the alien feeds off humans via a long killer tongue that slithers out of the woman's mouth. Yeah. What really threw me for a loop was the unexpected gay angle like when the woman's pet dogs turn into flamboyant gay dudes or the way Robert Englund (who for once is not playing Freddy Krueger) is a prison guard who takes a shit in an outhouse that has walls decorated with torn magazine pages of near naked muscular dudes. Like I said, WTF? Anyways, I literally dozed off during the whole movie (had to stop and rewind at least 4 times) and basically watched it in a dream state. There was a hot nun in it and the main chick with the killer tongue is attractive too. The movie is also definitely taking chances, but it just wasn't my cup of tea overall (plus the version I saw was pan and scan, cropped, which was irritating). 5/10

Perdita Durango aka Dance With The Devil (1997)
                    I came across the trailer for this somehow late one night and honestly my first thoughts were, "This looks like a goddamn mess. No way can it be good." Well, I was surprised. This is a lazy way to describe it, but like a car wreck on the side of the road, it was hard not to watch this thing all the way thru. It's based on a novel by Barry Gifford who also wrote Wild at Heart. Perdita Durango (here played by Rosie Perez) and Romeo Dolorosa (Javier Bardem) I think were also minor characters in David Lynch's movie adaptation. But this film is based on another Gifford book, and the movie is pretty fucking crazy – bloody violent with strong sexual overtones. Another lazy way of describing it would be Natural Born Killers: The Latino Version. Basically, Perdita and Romeo are insane criminals who along the way kidnap a White teenage couple. James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) is a DEA agent in pursuit. A lot of dark humor. It was made by Spanish director Alex de la Iglesia, who I really don't know about, but apparently has a following. I saw the unrated version. I liked it, but you might hate it. Watch at your own risk. 8.5/10

Comment

• WARNING: PLEASE DON'T WATCH TRAILER IF YOU PLAN ON SEEING THE MOVIE. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE.

The Quiet Earth (1985)
                      Quite liked this New Zealand film about the last man on earth. Well made. 8.5-9/10

Southland Tales (2006)
                      Full disclosure: I saw Donnie Darko (only once) and thought it was way overrated. Honestly, it felt like teens of that generation needed a film to call their own and here was this weird movie on cable that came along at the right time and place. Anyways, I don't think my view of Richard Kelly's second film is tarnished by my opinion of DD. I didn't watch this expecting to hate it. I just don't think it's a good film. It's an understatement to say this movie is ambitious considering it 1) tries to tell the end of the world as a modern re-telling of the Book of Revelations, 2) mixes celebrity culture "satire" and non-stop political "commentary" aimed at the Patriot act; 3) also manages to involve time travel and an alternate reality in the plot; 4) is "influenced" by Philip K Dick and T.S. Eliot literature; 5) has some poor man David Lynch influence as well; and 6) stars a cast of mostly SNL actors, Justin Timberlake, and in the lead, The Rock.

Let's be honest here. R. Kelly was feeling himself after the success of Donnie Darko (did I mention there's a three part comic book prequel to Southland Tales?) I don't know if the dude smokes weed, but this is one of those "I think this is best idea ever because I'm stoned out of mind right now" type of ideas. Calling this shit a mess is like saying Kanye West has a massive ego — it's pretty damn obvious. Yet, there exists on the Internet a band of die hard fans who insist this movie is "underrated" and that it gets better on a second viewing (the movie is like 2 1/2 hrs long by the way). Well, the first time I tried to watch this a couple years back I turned it off. This second time I sat thru the whole thing (took a few quick breaks), but I still don't buy that crap that this is a "misunderstood masterpiece." It's not. 2.5/10

Comment

Working...
                      X