Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about inexperience playing a part in Seth Mitchells defeat tonight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about inexperience playing a part in Seth Mitchells defeat tonight

I'm looking at George Foreman, who didn't pick up a boxing glove until he was 18. He only fought for 1 year before getting gold at the olympics.

He was 24 when he won the heavyweight title, 6 years after he put on a glove for the first time in his life. Seth Mitchell put on a glove for the first time when he was 25. (well 24 years and 10 months.)

I know Foreman is a great fighter, but i'm only basing my argument on critics saying it was Mitchell's inexperience which cost him the fight. The same critics will say "this fighter started boxing when he was 8 years old, and that's why he won" but Joe Louis was another fighter who didn't put on a boxing glove until he was 18, and won the title 5 years later. (i'm sure there are more examples, but these are 2 very prominent examples.)

So what is there to say? Is it different when a fighter picks up boxing at age 18, and when a boxer pickes up boxing at age 25?

difference is foremand was made for boxing, he can just beat people on his power and chin, seth he can only beat you in power, his chin is lacking, his stamina is lacking, and skill is lacking.

Comment

Inexperiance yes, he wasn't ready to move up yet. People seen him stopping people and thought he was that good. But to move to the next level it takes alot more than slugging. Perhaps someone should have told him that there is something called a jab.
      Last edited by Marcov; 11-18-2012, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Some guys are just different, Foreman was a freak of nature, even when he was old and grossly out of shape he was able to go the full 12 with vicious punchers like Holyfield and Morrison taking their shots like they were nothing.

Mitchell started way too late and turned pro way too fast with just 9 amateur fights (Foreman-26 Louis-50+) it's impressive how far he got considering his lack of experience. Most guys are already declining in their 30's, not only that but I'm not even sure if his trainer actually trained any pro fighters other than Mitchell.

Comment

I have yet to see the fight, but I've seen Mitchell fight before. He has a lot of power, but his punches are quite wide and wild. This is true of Foreman in his 1st career, but, as others have pointed out, his chin kept him in the fight long enough for one of those wild punches to land clean.

I think Mitchell needs to work of defense as well as straightening out his punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
            Most guys are already declining in their 30's, not only that but I'm not even sure if his trainer actually trained any pro fighters other than Mitchell.
            Well he's with Golden Boy, you'd expect them to give him a good trainer.

Comment

Well, just look at the fight. He got hurt and had no idea what to do, he didn't even know how to clinch properly. So ya, his inexperienced was part of why he lost, but I expect him to come back stronger.

Comment

There were massive warning signs against Chazz Witherspoon. He really should've taken a step back at that point but it seems that keeping HBO happy in the short term was the priority.

Comment

Working...
                X