No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Braehmer Confident Maccarinelli's Stripes Won't Change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Braehmer Confident Maccarinelli's Stripes Won't Change

By Jake Donovan - Dating back to Sergey Kovalev’s most recent ring performance in late March, there is a lot of activity at the top level of the light heavyweight division in a span of just under two months. Kovalev is fresh off of a dominant knockout performance over Cedric Agnew.

Bernard Hopkins and Beibut Shumenov are set to square off in an alphabet unification bout on April 19. The winner is likely next in line for a crack at lineal light heavyweight king Adonis Stevenson, providing he gets past Andrzej Fonfara in May.

And then there’s Juergen Braehmer.

The 35-year old has been steadily climbing the light heavyweight ranks, but still managing to fly under the radar. Part of that comes from fighting exclusively out of his native Germany, which leaves him largely out of the global spotlight currently enjoyed by his aforementioned divisional peers.

Steps are being taken to change all of that.

A career-best win came in his last fight, a dominant unanimous decision over Marcus Oliveira in their vacant title fight last December. The opportunity came due to the inactivity of Shumenov, although – ironically- both wound up fighting for different variations of the same title on the same night.

The win over Oliveira was considered a minor upset though a win that makes sense in retrospect. Now comes the fun part, where Braehmer gets to bring some much needed notoriety to his career. His first title defense comes this Saturday, as he faces former cruiserweight champ Enzo Maccarinelli in Rostock, Germany. [Click Here To Read More]

Team Kovalev should call his bluff if he beats Macaranelli as expected.

Comment

Really hoping Enzo somehow pulls this off.

Comment

BN: If you successfully defend your title on Saturday will you be looking towards a showdown with the divisional leaders Sergey Kovalev and Adonis Stevenson in the near future?

JB: I enjoy watching these guys fight! When I win on Saturday I will be looking at the other champions and top fighters in the division, yes, why not? I am a competitor and if the chance arises to fight either Kovalev or Stevenson I wouldnt hesitate. Still this is up to my promoter. Boxing is a business and the fans dont always get the fights that they want to see.
        http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/late...tevenson-later

If Main Events can't make Pascal-Kovalev, they should try to make this "unification" fight.

Comment

No possible way he ever fights Kovalev or Stevenson. Or even Pascal. His promoters won't make those fights and if they did, he'd pull out

Comment

Originally posted by giacomino View Post
            No possible way he ever fights Kovalev or Stevenson. Or even Pascal. His promoters won't make those fights and if they did, he'd pull out
            Sauerland gonna Sauerland?

Comment

Yup. Braehmer pulled out of a fight with Shumenov at the last minute in '11 too. What a battle of undeserving belt-holders that would have been

Comment

He said it's up to his promoter.... so that's a no

Comment

Originally posted by giacomino View Post
                  Yup. Braehmer pulled out of a fight with Shumenov at the last minute in '11 too. What a battle of undeserving belt-holders that would have been
                  Pulled out of the Clev fight too - Braehmer's actually got good skills IMO but just doesn't seem interested in fighting other title holders (or outside of Germany).

He should beat Enzo Mac fairly handily IMO - though I'd be more than happy to see Enzo pull off the win.
                  Last edited by Citizen Koba; 04-04-2014, 09:31 AM.

Comment

They'll be in some weird situation where Hopkins will have a unified title and Kov too... if that happened.

Comment

Working...
                    X