Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather Picks Ortiz: Showing Us More Than Manny?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Mayweather Picks Ortiz: Showing Us More Than Manny?

By Cliff Rold - Lineal World Welterweight Champion Floyd Mayweather (41-0, 25 KO) still can’t count.

How else to take a statement released in the wake of his announced September return against WBC Welterweight titlist Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KO)? The statement read that Mayweather commended Ortiz “for accepting the fight, but on September 17, Ortiz is just going to be another casualty, the 42nd one who tried and failed. Trust me, I will be ready."

Mayweather and his team have made similar statements in the past. Indeed, Mayweather has 41 wins and, should he win in September, Ortiz will be the 42nd victory. However, in those initial 41, he picked two wins over Jose Luis Castillo. Considering how much trouble Castillo gave him, it makes sense he’d count him twice but he is still only one man.

And, yeah…

…that’s about it.

That’s all there is to criticize in regards to one Floyd Mayweather today.

After a year off and change from the ring, and rumors about all sorts of laughable potential foes from Matthew Hatton to Paul Spadafora swirling throughout, Mayweather’s return comes against the sort of fighter most assumed the 34-year old Floyd wouldn’t face.

Younger.

Bigger.

Southpaw.

Heavier handed, with explosiveness.

Mayweather will be favored. Mayweather will probably win. That’s not a negative. He’s Floyd. That’s what he does. It’s what he’s expected to do against almost anyone.

What matters here is the choice.

Mayweather has reached a stage in his career few ever do. He can pick his spots, just like Ray Leonard and Oscar De La Hoya before him, just like contemporary and rival Manny Pacquiao can in parallel. With that stage comes a certain responsibility. Increased activity is requested. Real fights are required. [Click Here To Read More]

Here comes the *******s in....3...2....1

Comment

wow..lol..cant wait this will be good................good to see floyd get nie this said bout him for once and for people to actually say what it is bout manny lately......this thread will be a classic

Comment

Now this is a good article, *******s just stay away this is not for you.

Comment

I'm gonna somewhat copy what I said in an other thread about Mayweather's recent selection vs Pacquiao's recent selection.

Mayweather/Pacquiao vs Ortiz is the fight to make at WW...But we saw who Pacquiao picked, Mayweather capitalized on that mistake.

Same happened with Mosley. Arum/Roach turned down Mosley in late 2009, when he was the lineal WW champion and #1 ranked WW, instead fought Cotto. Mayweather came in and signed to fight Mosley and got the credit for beating the lineal WW/#1 ranked WW Shane Mosley, while Pacquiao fought him coming off a couple of bad performances.

Comment

come on floyd why wait for pac to pick someone else then have a fight with a

green guy on WW.... thats not the fight the people wants.. it is you and

pacquiao... im sad you are fighting a former 140 lbs guy and a mere fresh green

young paper champ of wbc??? you said in an interveiw that a BELT wont make

YOU fight, then any other reason aside from that belt and dont say making ortiz

is a better fighter than manny. damn floyd you are still competing with manny in

other way..... are you proving again that you are the Cashcow and PVP KING...

T_T

Comment

WARR ORTIZ!!

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap about pacquiao vs Floyd anymore. I used too but honestly even if it did happen it be a boring fight going either way. There's much more to boxing then this one over hyped over talked about fight

Comment

i have to admit, i cant hate on this fight........did'nt know floyd has lil balls left in him......

Comment

Floyd Mayweather Jr, in a good way, is taking advantage of Pacquiao's cherrypicking.

He is reading who the fans want him and Manny to fight, other than eachother of course at WW, the fans wanted Pacquiao vs Ortiz. Manny failed to give the fans that fight, Floyd comes in and takes it. He did the same exact thing for Mosley.

People wanted Pacquiao vs Mosley in late 2009, Roach said Mosley is too good, Arum said Mosley is not a draw. Early 2010: Mayweather[Mosley gets signed.

If this keeps repeating itself, then we should expect any fighter Pacquiao turns down, Mayweather will fight. One can only hope that means Mayweather-Martinez at 154 is possible, although I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                    X