Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys think a 1966-'67 Ali would have struggled with Tyson's speed and power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I'm in the minority, but I've never thought Tyson stood much a chance at all of beating prime Muhammad Ali. He'd have lost before they even stepped in the ring, and would get absolutely picked apart.

EDIT: Okay I guess I'm not in the minority. Usually when people talk this fight though it's split or people talk about how tough Tyson would be for Ali. I don't think he'd be tough for Ali at all.

Comment

I think prime Tyson would be a very scary opponent for anyone for 5 or 6 rounds!

Tyson was a pretty solid 12 round fighter too, but as already mentioned he did slow a bit over the final six rounds of a fight.

I personally think Ali gets a serious scare for a few rounds but recovers to take a close decision. I don't think he stops a prime, motivated and well trained Tyson.

Comment

I personally think prime Patterson vs prime Ali would be a very good fight.

Their 1965 fight was very much hampered in my opinion by Patterson's back injury. The Patterson from the Johansson return fight a few years previously may have made a very interesting fight.

Its worth watching their 1972 fight too, Patterson boxed very well that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          I personally think prime Patterson vs prime Ali would be a very good fight.

Their 1965 fight was very much hampered in my opinion by Patterson's back injury. The Patterson from the Johansson return fight a few years previously may have made a very interesting fight.

Its worth watching their 1972 fight too, Patterson boxed very well that night.
          While I don't agree with the first paragraph, I definitely agree with the last one. Floyd put up a very spirited effort in the second Ali fight and had his moments. But ultimately he was just too small to stay with Ali for the distance.

Comment

speed?

perhaps.

for a few rounds tyson had terrific foot and hand speed and nice crisp combinations

good head movement too.

that only really lasted for a few rounds, at least with any consistency

power?

nah.
            ali had a monster chin. one of the best ever.
            he might get a bit shaken up but i doubt very much he's simply getting his doors blown off.

Comment

tyson was compaired to fraizer in style, i think tyson was way more powerful. and fraizer beat ali in their first bout at msg in 71. i think ali would have fustrated tyson but eventualy like all the rest in the beging of tysons carrier, ali would have been k.o.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bear View Post
                tyson was compaired to fraizer in style, i think tyson was way more powerful. and fraizer beat ali in their first bout at msg in 71. i think ali would have fustrated tyson but eventualy like all the rest in the beging of tysons carrier, ali would have been k.o.
                Frazier and Tyson are much further apart in terms of style than you realise at first.

Comment

Originally posted by FirePunch View Post
                  **** yeah even ali in his prime . Tyson wouldnt give ali enough time to figure him out or pick him apart .

I just think ali would go bye bye with a huge hook that lean back style he has is perfect for that punch .

Yes ali was the better boxer but tyson was a destroyer

Tyson vs ali with cus damato in tysons corner tyson wins 6th round brutal ko
                  You obviously haven't seen the bonecrusher smith fight ,Tyson couldn't put away him and Smith couldn't lace Ali's boots

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    Frazier and Tyson are much further apart in terms of style than you realise at first.
                    Only one of them could fight on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                      Very far away. They are similar in size, that's about it to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X