No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The Fall and Rise of Ishe Smith

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: The Fall and Rise of Ishe Smith

By Thomas Gerbasi - Ishe Smith has been called many things over the course of his life in the boxing spotlight; some good, some bad, but never neutral. Having that type of effect on the public would almost guarantee a successful and lucrative career, but in 2009, he was called something that sent a life spiraling out of control even further.

Unapprovable.

That was the word from ESPN when promoter Lou DiBella tried to get his fighter on the network, and you couldn’t have hit Smith with a punch in the ring that would have hurt as much.

“I was devastated,” recalled Smith. “I’m looking at guys on the network, and I’m like, really? I’m thinking to myself, I’ve beaten some solid guys in my career and I’ve looked good beating David Estrada and Randall Bailey, and I’m unapprovable?”

DiBella, as is his custom when his fighters are wronged, went on the offensive against the network, something Smith says he’ll never forget, but to no avail. And just like that, a career that seemed destined for stardom and, at the very least, a world championship, had ground to a halt. One of the stars of the first season of NBC’s “The Contender,” Smith was introduced to the nation through the reality series, and this was AFTER he beat fighters like Sam Garr, Alfonso Gomez, Estrada, and Bailey, all within 14 pro bouts. He wouldn’t win the show, but that wasn’t expected to slow him down.

Those predictions didn’t pan out though. A disappointing 2007 loss to Sechew Powell and a close 2008 defeat against Joel Julio kept Smith in neutral, and though a 2008 win over then-unbeaten Pawel Wolak got him back on track momentarily, the “unapprovable” tag, coupled with a divorce, a stalled career, and the idea that he was losing everything hit him all at once.

“My life was already going out of control,” said Smith. “I had lost my car, was losing my house, I was catching the bus to the gym, and I was thinking I shouldn’t even box anymore. I remember being in the house by myself and looking at my gun, thinking about killing myself, like life isn’t worth living. I was sitting there talking to myself in my house, I’m getting ready to lose my house anyway, and saying if I can’t box, what the hell am I gonna do? This is all I know how to do. I don’t know how to do nothing else. The recession had started, people were losing jobs left and right in Las Vegas, and I’m like what the hell am I gonna go do?” [Click Here To Read More]

Great article. Hopefully it will be a good fight.

Comment

Ishe Smith is just meh.

no offence seems a nice guy but, meh

Comment

I rarely read stiff on Ishe, I got tired of hos artocles on here and that Money team **** where boxers don't make a name of themselves but ride Floyd's. However this interview does seem good.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by TensionKiller View Post
          I rarely read stiff on Ishe, I got tired of hos artocles on here and that Money team **** where boxers don't make a name of themselves but ride Floyd's. However this interview does seem good.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
          The stuff he used to write on here was utter trash

Comment

That's an amazing gesture by Mayweather. Damn.

I am not a fan of Ishe Smith, but I guess I will give him a chance to change my mind. K9 shouldn't be champ. Maybe Smith will fight someone interesting if he wins the title.

Comment

Smith is a very good fighter & I think he's one of these guys that gets lost in the shuffle of the boxing game. I've seen most of his fights & the guy has skills, he's a lot better than people give him credit for. I'm glad he's finally getting his shot though. I strongly believe Smith is one of many fighters out there that could do real damage to guys with big names.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                That's an amazing gesture by Mayweather. Damn.

I am not a fan of Ishe Smith, but I guess I will give him a chance to change my mind. K9 shouldn't be champ. Maybe Smith will fight someone interesting if he wins the title.
                Very good read on Ishe, i've liked the guy since the contender. Ishe said if he wins the title he'll give guys like Carlos Molina and Gabriel Rosado a shot. I can't be mad at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                  Very good read on Ishe, i've liked the guy since the contender. Ishe said if he wins the title he'll give guys like Carlos Molina and Gabriel Rosado a shot. I can't be mad at that.
                  That'd be amazing if he did (Molina at least). Nobody wants to give that guy a title shot.
                  Ishe definitely has a chance to win this

Comment

Good read. Wow, wanted to shoot himself but sold his Guns afterwards. Very revealing what goes on inside the mind of a fighter.

Comment

Working...
                    X