No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hopkins vs. Froch: A Can’t-Miss Classic For 2013

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hopkins vs. Froch: A Can’t-Miss Classic For 2013

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I’ve been a boxing fan for more than 30 years.

That means I’ve seen most of my generation’s nominees for the greatest fight of all time, most notably the first Pryor-Arguello duel in 1982, the Hagler-Hearns mini-masterpiece in 1985 and the epic to-and-fro between Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo exactly two decades later.

Gun to my head… the last of those three matches is the best I’ve ever seen.

Of course, over that same time frame, there have been eagerly anticipated fights that turned out to be duds, and clashes that were barely noticed on the front end before winding up as classics.

We could all fill notebooks with varieties of both.

But over the last few weeks, I’ve heard the initial stages of rumbling for a fight that’s got me as intrigued as any I can remember encountering in either 36 years as a fan or 25 years as a professional journalist.

And the winner is: Bernard Hopkins vs. Carl Froch.

On the surface, I’ll concede it’s no Gatti/Ward.

Hopkins has long been the antithesis of titillation when it comes to ring work, content instead to make venomous promises at press conferences before lulling his opponents – and assembled audiences – to sleep during cerebral 12-round chess matches. [Click Here To Read More]

Just FYI I'm not OMG Canelo vs Mayweather to fight and think Mayweather hasn't done enough at 154 for his rating. However I'm expecting the same guys who make the excuses for that fight to happen praise this fight.

Comment

You chose Roy Jones to beat Hopkins in 2010 Lyle? You really are an idiot.

Comment

Wasn't this fight shot down?

Comment

Sure, let Hopkins come down to 168. I wouldn't mind seeing Froch batter him into retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
            Just FYI I'm not OMG Canelo vs Mayweather to fight and think Mayweather hasn't done enough at 154 for his rating. However I'm expecting the same guys who make the excuses for that fight to happen praise this fight.
            does Nelo want to go down to 147 or do CW?...no!!!...would B.Hop go to 168 or do a CW?...yes!!!....not the same story so you can't expect the same reactions

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
              Sure, let Hopkins come down to 168. I wouldn't mind seeing Froch batter him into retirement.
              thats the spirit!!!

Comment

Hopkins can come down to 168 and get his whooping from Froch. Otherwise he can stay fighting on ESPN

Comment

Hopkins da man

Comment

Froch might not even beat Kessler. If he does, then this fight might be a goer but you know I doubt it will be a classic. Hopkins is not usually involved in exciting fights.

Comment

Working...
                    X