No announcement yet.

how do you see sergio vs hagler playing out? both in prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but when you mangle facts that's another matter. This guy Marquez is actually named Martinez. He lost to Margarito 12 years ago before either were contenders. That was the only decisive loss in Martinez's career because he lost to Williams by a controversial decision, not a KO loss. So who are these guys who you say always beat him? And idea of the middleweight champion dropping to 147 to fight RICKY HATTON is too embarrasing to even comment on.

Comment

hagler might take a round or two to adjust to the speed (who doesn't?)

eventually he'd stop martinez, though. he'd catch up to him by cutting the ring off and jabbing, and then he'd start to put the leather on him.

tko in 8-10

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        This clown doesn't hold Haglers laces!! Simple as that, he has NO style!! Its only recently that fighters who jump around the ring with their hands down who are fighting "nobodies" are considered great!! He fought a decent WW and got stopped, he fought Williams another decent boxer and got stopped, he won against Williams with a wild outside shot. The only thing this guy does with style is throw a one/two combo other than that his style is exactly what a good trainer doesn't teach because if you some how accend into the ring against high caliber talents like Hagler or Leonard you will be exposed!!!
        This guy Marquez is NOT a great fighter he's part of the weak competitors that are in our vision today.
        Why is talking about Mayweather a WW? Cotto, a guy whose best is behind him!! Why not go down to 147 for Hatton????
        Why not fight Ward?? Or the GGG guy?? Fight someone in your division, champ!!
        Why didn't he stop this green kid he just fought? He hit at will yet never stayed in ON HIM and back him up for 2 solid rounds. If he did that he would have stopped, he didn't!! The reason he didn't you saw in the last round!! He's only good at dictating as soon as some heats applied back to him he gets spooked and crashes!!! Great fighters can fight under fire, they learn to weather the storms and cause their own storms to end a bout when they know they can. This guy Marquez doesn't have that mind set thats why he gets beat the way he does and when you face real top ten competitors who know how to fight he'll be in deep!! Maybe he can learn how to deal with the heat but for now he has no interest in either side!! Not a great fighter, especially when you look at his record, not one high caliber fighter! Ray

that green kid he fought is the biggest middleweight ever. his last name is "chavez."
        he can take a great punch. it's likely that he takes drugs to make the 160 limit. when he gets in the ring he weighs 180 +, which is a cruiserweight.

martinez also broke his orbital bone (he chipped the skull around his eye.)

if you actually watched him fight you would
        A: know his name
        B: have an opinion worth listening to.

at least you didn't talk about yourself for a paragraph or two this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          that green kid he fought is the biggest middleweight ever. his last name is "chavez."
          he can take a great punch. it's likely that he takes drugs to make the 160 limit. when he gets in the ring he weighs 180 +, which is a cruiserweight.

martinez also broke his orbital bone (he chipped the skull around his eye.)

if you actually watched him fight you would
          A: know his name
          B: have an opinion worth listening to.

at least you didn't talk about yourself for a paragraph or two this time around.
          Besides, even though the level of the opposition is surely debatable, Chavez Jr has fought 49 times.

I do not consider Martinez a GREAT, but he is a very good/excellent fighter IMO
          Last edited by B-Bomber; 10-27-2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Sergio is a good fighter in a poor era, while Hagler is one of the greatest middles of all-time.

Also, the notion of Hagler being this ultra-aggressive pressure fighter needs to go. Most of the time, he was a methodical, patient boxer.

Hagler would take advantage of Sergio's defensive flaws, especially with that piston jab. Hagler by a clear decision or mid to late rounds stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
              Sergio is a good fighter in a poor era, while Hagler is one of the greatest middles of all-time.

Also, the notion of Hagler being this ultra-aggressive pressure fighter needs to go. Most of the time, he was a methodical, patient boxer.

Hagler would take advantage of Sergio's defensive flaws, especially with that piston jab. Hagler by a clear decision or mid to late rounds stoppage.
              I am a serious Martinez nutthugger, but Monzon and Hagler are the best middles of my 45 years. Martinez is close to or at 3rd, matters how you feel about B-hop at middle

Comment

Hagler by late KO

Hagler had a freak jaw ... he was literally anatomically different I hear ...

Comment

Originally posted by julian45 View Post
                  I am a serious Martinez nutthugger, but Monzon and Hagler are the best middles of my 45 years. Martinez is close to or at 3rd, matters how you feel about B-hop at middle
                  I don't think that highly of Martinez, historically speaking. He's a good fighter in a poor era and nothing special to me, other than his ability to perform well at an advanced age.

Martinez would be just another good fighter around middleweight if he were around in the early to mid 90s when the talent pool was deep.

Fighters like Nunn, Toney, Jackson (even with his vision compromised), McClellan, Hopkins, Benn, Watson, Eubank, McCallum, etc...

I'd pick Sergio to lose to the majority of those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
                    I don't think that highly of Martinez, historically speaking. He's a good fighter in a poor era and nothing special to me, other than his ability to perform well at an advanced age.

Martinez would be just another good fighter around middleweight if he were around in the early to mid 90s when the talent pool was deep.

Fighters like Nunn, Toney, Jackson (even with his vision compromised), McClellan, Hopkins, Benn, Watson, Eubank, McCallum, etc...

I'd pick Sergio to lose to the majority of those guys.
                    Yeah I like Sergio alot, he's one of my favorite guys out right now and a top P4P guy but I think Toney, McCallum, RJJ, Jackson, beat him pretty easily, the rest I think are pretty good fights.

Hagler would decision him.

Comment

Working...
                    X