Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Carlito’s Way: Carlos Molina a Contender on His Own Terms

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Carlito’s Way: Carlos Molina a Contender on His Own Terms

By Jake Donovan - The night came nearly five years ago, but Carlos Molina still remembers as if it just happened. The scorecards came in for his Telefutura-televised bout with Mike Alvarado in Feb. ‘07, resulting in his third straight loss.

In a span of 14 months, Molina had given Alvarado, Waylon Willingham and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr the toughest tests of their young careers (including a two-fight set with Chavez), yet had nothing to show for it other than a four-fight winless streak.

Enough was enough, Molina told his handlers – and himself – in the dressing room after the fight.

“I was 8-4 and had three losses in a row at that point,” Molina recalled in the moments after yet another hard-luck night. “I said to myself and to my team, ‘I don’t want to lose any more. I want to retire with four losses.’ Ever since then, I’ve had a 12-fight unbeaten streak.”

Among the streak that has run his record to 19-4-2 (6KO) None were bigger than his most recent performance, an upset decision win over former welterweight titlist Kermit Cintron. Molina didn’t just pull off the upset, but embarrassed the Puerto Rican over the course of their 10-round Showtime-aired bout last July. [Click Here To Read More]

Carlos Molina has a chance in really winning this fight against Kirkland. Since the upset of Angulo is his last fight though it seems Kirkland will plow right through this guy as well. It is going to be a good fight. The hypejob Canelo better face the winner.

Comment

I've been impressed with Carlos Molina in his last few fights. He's good enough to beat Kirkland in my opinion.

Comment

He should prolly be undefeated, i kno he defeated chavez but the stole him the fight twice there was a riot in mexico on both fights cause the people knew he really won, against alvarado i dont remember but it was close match, he beat lara n they gave him a draw, n now he gots kirkland, i think hes gona box kirkland ears off easy win for him

Comment

i think molina can beat kirkland but i think alvarez polish and will impress the judges enough in mexico to make it a foregone conclusion that he cant beat canelo unless he knocks him out

Comment

Originally posted by TX_BOXNG View Post
            He should prolly be undefeated, i kno he defeated chavez but the stole him the fight twice there was a riot in mexico on both fights cause the people knew he really won, against alvarado i dont remember but it was close match, he beat lara n they gave him a draw, n now he gots kirkland, i think hes gona box kirkland ears off easy win for him
            he didn't beat lara, he outhustle lara in some rounds with his grabbing and ****, actually he got hurt in the 8 or 9 round, the best punches of the fight were landed by Lara and the Cuban didn't train properly (his fault) because Shields was with Rigondeaux for his fight in Ireland, on top of that he had a big issue witha tooth or something like that 3 days before the fight, he didn't want to cancel and went ahead a fought Molina, to me a draw was fair for both guys, a win for either one not so much....

Comment

I hope Molina spent his down time bulking up. His power is the main thing that's lacking and his small size isn't helping.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                I hope Molina spent his down time bulking up. His power is the main thing that's lacking and his small size isn't helping.
                Bulk doesn't translate to power. I'm sure you know this...

Kirkland is overrated and has been inconsistent throughout his career. Molina has a good jab and is persistent enough to beat Kirkland, who more often than not, doesn't bring everything he can.

Comment

Working...
                X