Collapse
No announcement yet.

89 press and fan scores for the Mares-Moreno fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scoring was strange for this one. A lot of people had it in the 116-110 range, and a lot of people had it around 113-113/114-112.

I think I can see how people would have given Moreno an extra round or two, but to be honest, scorecards that have Mares winning by just the knockdown and the deduction don't properly reflect the nature of that fight. Abner was the boss in there.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
      I saw Moreno winning 3, MAYBE 4 tops. With the knockdown, and the point deduction, you would seriously have to a psychopath to have him winning the fight.

I feel like a lot of people gave Moreno the benefit of the doubt in rounds where Mares took off a bit as well, even though he didn't actually win them.
      Yea I agree. I think most boxing fans don't understand a fight can still be competitive even though your giving rounds mostly to one guy.

I thought Mares won most of the rounds even though some were close. Moreno was coming on late but was taken out of his comfort zone so badly, he was really ineffective early on. He was literally RUNNING in this fight, I don't think I have ever seen a fighter literally sprint after another fighter in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Cállate! View Post
        This is what most people saw it as
        Did you even look at the link? There wasn't one 120-106 scorecard there.

Comment

moreno won 3 rounds, 4 if you're feelin generous

Comment

You could argue the the fight was close in rounds but with the point deductions I can't see anyway you could score it for Moreno.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              Yea I agree. I think most boxing fans don't understand a fight can still be competitive even though your giving rounds mostly to one guy.
              Very important point. Cotto vs Mayweather being a prime example.

Comment

Mares beat Moreno up more in the first half of the fight, but it was very close on a rounds basis through 12. I thought Mares won 4 of the next five rounds after losing the first but he didn't clearly win very many (if any) rounds in the second half of the fight. I had 7-12 4-0-2 for Moreno. I could see some swings there, but Moreno controlled most of the back half. It was some gutsy stuff after he looked ready to go. No issue with Mares winning. He earned it in a really, really good fight.

Nice to see two guys that good actually do it in their prime. Kudos.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                  Scoring was strange for this one. A lot of people had it in the 116-110 range, and a lot of people had it around 113-113/114-112.

I think I can see how people would have given Moreno an extra round or two, but to be honest, scorecards that have Mares winning by just the knockdown and the deduction don't properly reflect the nature of that fight. Abner was the boss in there.
                  Mares was indeed the boss. He landed all the big clean punches and bullied Moreno around the ring the whole fight. There isnt a single round in this fight that Moreno CLEARLY won. You can give still give him 2 or 3 rounds but thats it. Pple who scored it a draw....I have no idea what they were watching. Even the 3 scorecards of the showtime commentary team were WAY TOO CLOSE.
                  but the ref looked as if he was paid off

Comment

Originally posted by fightscore View Post
                    The 89 scores are in my fightscorecollector site - http://fightscorecollector.blogspot.com

30 odd press scores , over 50 fan scores from the forums and twitter

69 press/fans had Mares winning

10 press/fans had Moreno winning

10 press/fans had it a draw

My card read read 114-113 Mares

Thanks for all your scores and please keep posting your scores in the RBR threads

ps: Thanks to Boxingscenes Jake Donovan too for letting me do this on here
                    And props to you for putting in the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Halls of Fame View Post
                      Mares was indeed the boss. He landed all the big clean punches and bullied Moreno around the ring the whole fight. There isnt a single round in this fight that Moreno CLEARLY won. You can give still give him 2 or 3 rounds but thats it. Pple who scored it a draw....I have no idea what they were watching. Even the 3 scorecards of the showtime commentary team were WAY TOO CLOSE.
                      but the ref looked as if he was paid off
                      The 113-113 scorecard is as bad as the 120-106 in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                      X