Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A review of Pacquiao’s career and accomplishments. Good read!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A review of Pacquiao’s career and accomplishments. Good read!

Courtesy of Stephen "breadman" Edwards btalk mailbag.

In my research I found out that Pacquiao is the only 3 division champion in the history of boxing that was the underdog in his first 3 title tries. You may not realize the implications of that statement but let me spell it out for you. In boxing terms that is unheard of. Manny Pacquaio was being FED. Think about this, Adrien Broner just won his 3rd title. He was of similar age to Manny for each of his titles. He was the overwhelming favorite in ALL of his title tries.

Manny fought Chatchai Sasakul who was 33-1 when Manny fought him. Manny was just 19 years old. Sasakul was the deal. So good in fact he gave Yuri Arbachakov his only career loss. Some consider Arbachakov the BEST flyweight of the 90’s. That’s how good he was. The fight between Manny and Sasakul is on youtube. You can see Manny was over his head, he was just a gun and he persevered and scored a dramatic come from behind ko.*

In his next title try he fought he fought Lehlo Ledwaba. Dude was a monster and considered to be the best fighter at 122. Manny was like a 6 to 1 underdog. He destroyed him. Manny was just 22 when he did that.

Then in his next title try he fights the 3rd best p4p fighter in the world in Marco Antonio Barerra and he beats him to a pulp. Now Manny is a 3 division champion at 24 years old and he was the underdog in all of his title tries. And he beat the best fighter in the division to win each of those titles.

Then Manny takes on Juan Manuel Marquez to unify in his very next fight. The promoters didn’t give him any stay busy show case fights…….. He gets a draw. Then he engages in his trilogy with Eric Morales. Morales was coming off of a 12 round majority decision loss in the fight of the year to Barrera. Pacquiao haters act like Morales was kod in 1 round and then fought Pacquiao. There was nothing wrong with that fight. Did I add it was at 130, Pacquiao was yet moving up again. Morales has just had big HBO fights with Marcos Maidana and Danny Garcia recently but Pac gets flack for fighting him at 130lbs 8 years ago. Unbelievable.

*He settles things with Morales, fights Barrera in a rematch and then goes for his 4th title vs an all time great in Marquez. So in 4 title tries the one time he is the favorite is against the best fighter he has faced. Next he fights David Diaz in his 5th title try a fight in which Pacquiao got criticized. But Diaz was33-1 and he had just beat Morales. It was Pacquiao’s first fight at 135. Next he gets the Oscar call.

I am going to ask you why would Oscar want to make Manny look good. Manny made himself look good by fighting the perfect fight against a man that was 3 divisions bigger and 6 inches taller. He was being fed again, he just didn’t cooperate.

Next he goes for his 6th title try against Ricky Hatton. He almost kills Hatton. So let’s keep track in 6 title tries he was the underdog 3x. He also fought the best fighter in the division 5 out of 6 times, the only time he didn’t was against David Diaz. Next he fights Miguel Cotto at a catchweight of 145lbs and destroys him. That’s his 7th title and the 6th time he fought the best guy in the division for the title. Remember Floyd was just coming out of retirement at this time.

Despite what people try to say. Oscar, Hatton and Cotto were all coming off of wins not losses. Oscar had just beat Steve Forbes, Hatton had just beat Paulie Malignaggi. In fact he stopped him in 2008 when Adrien Broner couldn’t last month. And Cotto had just beat Michael Jennings and Joshua Clottey. So up until that point only Morales was coming off of a loss and he’s the only fighter to beat Manny in that decade, go figure smart guy.

Next up we have Joshua Clottey who was coming off of a split decision loss. Some people say he beat Cotto but if those same people don’t like Pacman they say Clottey was coming off of a loss. Mike Alvarado will be fighting Ruslan Provodnikov coming off of one of those same losses. There is nothing wrong with that.

Then Pac fights Margarito at a stupid catchweight but I don’t believe it benefited him. Margarito was never more than a BIG welter to me, so they let him come in at 150 and he rehydrated up to 165. He took away Pac’s prime in that fight. Then Pac picked on a shot Shane Mosley. I have no problem admitting that. Next he fights undefeated Tim Bradley sandwiched by two Marquez fights. Now he’s fighting Brandon Rios coming off of a razor close loss in his comeback fight after being violently kod.

What favors has this man been done? Seriously. I’m telling you straight up there is no way I would let my fighters fight the kind of killers that Pacquiao has, multiple times, giving up that kind of experience,weight and height. The one guy who gave him trouble, they made him fight 4x…. He was robbed against Bradley….. He gave up so much size to Margarito that he laid in bed for 3 days AFTER the fight.I can go on and on.*

Tell me another modern fighter that has had to go through that. And I only named the BIG fights and title wins. People like to repeat lies and nonsense about this guy. But the truth is he has had it harder than any fighter in recent history. You guys talk about catchweights but not so much anymore. I wonder why. I won’t bring up Floyd because I am actually a big fan of his also. Yes guys, you can be a Pacman and Moneyman fan at the same time. But Floyd hasn’t had it nearly as rough as PAcquiao, especially coming up.

But let’s get back to catchweights. Pacquiao asked for 2 catchweights, Cotto and Margarito. Marquez asked for two also. Both times 144 against Pacquiao and Mayweather and no one speaks a word about it. Cotto who was supposedly opposed to catchweights, asked for one against Margarito. Somebody hit up Margarito’s trainer on twitter and he will tell you the deal. They settled at an asinine 153 but because Margarito was a cheater nobody cared.

Paul Williams fought Sergio Martinez at 157 and no one spoke a word about it. The great Bernard Hopkins fought Kelly Pavlik and Winky Wright at 170lbs and we don’t talk about it. Now the best fighter in the world is fighting Saul Alvarez at 152lbs but yet Manny PAcquiao is the Catchweight King. I only named recent big fights. Go figure again…. #

I am a fan of Manny’s but I am more of a TRUTH ADVOCATE. The guy gets a bad rap but no one can give me a valid reason why. What special tailor made fighters that Manny has benefited from? He has fought the for the most part the best available guys, of all colors, styles, height and weights. I’m curious to know about this special matchmaking. Before Manny and Floyd had their public feud nobody talked bad about him. All I’m saying is have your own mind. Manny Pacquiao is the most accomplished fighter of this generation and out of all of the elite fighters of the past 15 years he has had by far the roughest road up.*

Here we go again.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Burner View Post
      Here we go again.
      That was a really good read about a great champion! you should read it. you may learn a little.
      No. That wont work. You learn...That was a dumb idea!

Comment

Good read. He wasn't named fighter of the decade for nothing.

It doesn't look like he's going to retire any time soon which is good for boxing fans.

Comment

There so much twisted fanboy BS in that garbage no wonder the ******s come in rejoicing , bunch of hype junkies patting each other on the back .

Comment

thats what i was trying to say all along.

Pac never ducked anyone.

That whats makes a ATG

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
              There so much twisted fanboy BS in that garbage no wonder the ******s come in rejoicing , bunch of hype junkies patting each other on the back .
              Well that's why this is a boxing forum. Feel free to refute whatever u feel is twisted or untrue.

Comment

Good read. He brought really excitement to the sport in the fights that are covered in that piece.

Comment

His best performances were still below 130. He went nip and tuck with one of the greatest boxers of the era in Marquez and managed to drop him and win the decision. That is a great intense fight.

Respect, champ. Good luck in the Rios bout!

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                    You have been in RED for a loooong time. Kinda tells you something about a poster. (youre Garbage)
                    And being that you are the die hard Fan that you are...hating on a man with so many accomplishments kinda makes you the ******...but thanks for posting. Its guys like you that bring humor to the board.

Comment

Working...
                    X