Meteor injures atleast 400 people in Russia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by User's Name View Post
    new york is next.
    All the glass shattering from towers would be crazy.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
        edit: It's now at least 500.
        edit:edit: It's now at least 950.

A meteor crashing in the Urals of central Russia has reportedly injured at least 400 people, as the shockwave blew out windows and rocked buildings.

Most of those hurt suffered minor cuts and bruises but some received head injuries, Russian media report.

A fireball was seen streaking through the sky above the city of Yekaterinburg, followed by loud bangs.

Much of the impact was felt in another city, Chelyabinsk, some 200km (125 miles) to the south.

"We saw a big burst of light then went outside to see what it was and we heard a really loud thundering sound," Chelyabinsk resident Sergey Hametov told AP news agency by phone.

Officials say a large meteor partially burned up in the lower atmosphere, resulting in fragments falling earthwards.

Thousands of rescue workers have been dispatched to the area to provide help to the injured, the emergencies ministry said.

The Chelyabinsk region, about 1,500km (930 miles) east of Moscow, is home to many factories, a nuclear power plant and the Mayak atomic waste storage and treatment centre.

"There was panic," Mr Hametov added.

"People had no idea what was happening. Everyone was going around to people's houses to check if they were okay."

Another witness in Chelyabinsk told Reuters shockwaves had been felt in a 19-storey building in the city centre.

A roof at a zinc factory in Chelyabinsk also collapsed; however, it appears nobody was hurt in that incident.

In Yekaterinburg, 36-year-old resident Viktor Prokofiev was driving to work when he witnessed the event.

"It was quite dark, but it suddenly became as bright as if it was day," he was quoted by Reuters as saying.

"I felt like I was blinded by headlights."

Debris also reportedly fell on the west Siberian region of Tyumen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

Damn that sonic boom was strong.

They were tracking that large meteor and "supposedly" didn't see this one as far as I know. Hope this isn't the first of many.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
          Damn scary indeed. That meteor looked like some nuclear missile (my impression cause I haven't seen a nuclear missile landing my way) then it was followed by a series of mini explosions.
          Actually according to the "interwebs" there is a guy who lived through both nuclear explosions in japan.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            I couldn't imagine if this hit a crowded city instead of a rural area.
            If it hit NY, the US would go to war with Iran and then assign oil contracts.

Comment

Suspected meteor explosion reported in central Cuba

By: XInhua
              February 16, 2013 10:42 PM

HAVANA -- An object fell from the sky over central Cuba on Thursday night and turned into a fireball "bigger than the sun" before it exploded, a Cuban TV channel reported Friday, citing eyewitnesses.

Some residents in the central province of Cienfuegos were quoted as saying that at around 8 p.m. local time Thursday (0100 GMT Friday) they saw a bright spot in the sky comparable to a bus in size.

The object then turned into a fireball "bigger than the sun," said the witnesses, adding that several minutes later they heard a loud explosion.

One resident told the TV station that his house shook slightly in the blast.

Cuban experts have been dispatched to the area to look for possible remains of the meteor-like object, said the report.

It remains unknown whether the reported phenomenon in Cuba is related to Friday's meteor strike in central Russia, which set off a shockwave that shattered windows and left some 1,000 people injured.

Comment

it had the force of 30 Horishima bombs. Damn, space is dangerous place.

Comment

The aliens are taking back what's theirs...

Comment

Working...
                  X