No announcement yet.

Schaefer refuses to make Malignaggi v Maidana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lovci View Post
    GBP just boggles my mind.... They ALWAYS throw guys who could be stars to the wolves. Guys like Maidana who will put up a FOTY effort every night. Then a guy like Paulie who outside of New York, no cares about and never will. He has no power, his style is boring. Bt hes got charisma and a big mouth so he gets protected.

I didn't really form that paragraph how I wanted, but maybe someone will understand it.
    you are really lost in all this. GBP's isn't in anyway trying to protect Paulie at all!

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
      Man have you got that all wrong. They're not protecting him; they're trying to choose wisely who he will lose the belt to. The whole reason he has the belt is because they sent him to the Ukraine to try and take it. They had better fighters at 147, but they sent Paulie because he has no value and his career was done. If he lost fighting abroad, so what?

The belt is their return on their investment of signing him. That's why they want to be picky about who he's fighting. They wanted Mosley because they could have Mosley fight Khan, Ortiz, or Alexander fight Mosley and claim that whichever guy beats Mosley and has the belt is a new superstar.
      Ya, you are probably right, but it makes no sense not to lose it to a guy like Maidana.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovci View Post
        Ya, you are probably right, but it makes no sense not to lose it to a guy like Maidana.
        To Paulie, sure; they both want to fight. It's a great fight! Who wins? Can't say for sure, ya know? It's a solid matchup.

But to Golden Boy, Maidana winning the belt would cause trouble. See, Alexander just shut Maidana out, so rematching him would draw heavy criticism. And I doubt they want to put Khan in there with Maidana again either, after how close Khan was to being KO'd. Ortiz might be coming back to 147 as well when he returns, and Maidana already stopped him. They're not trying to turn Maidana into the next American star like they are the above three, so wasting a matchup with Mayweather on Maidana is out of the question.

So, the last thing they want is Maidana to be holding that belt.

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
        Agreed. It's the belt's destination GBP are trying to control, they don't care about putting on a good fight.

Berto...Mosley...these guys don't deserve title shots. At least Maidana won his last fight at 147 against a good fighter who just beat Aydin and the fans want to see it, not a couple of roid cheats getting another bite at the cherry.
        Couldn't have said it better myself. Who are these guys trying to fool?

Comment

**** goldenboy those crooks theyre worse than top rank

Comment

Originally posted by WarMaidana View Post
            **** goldenboy those crooks theyre worse than top rank
            I've always found the people who pretend Golden Boy is better than Top Rank ridiculous.

Comment

paulie is an east coast fighter with a belt right now. they need him and garcia to sell fights at barclays. schaefer wants to protect his moneymakers, and matthysse vs maidana will put a lot of mileage on both of those guys. the bull**** is obvious here. props to paulie for wanting maidana instead of mosley though. shame it "couldn't" happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                It's obvious why he doesn't want to make it, he just saw a fat outta shape cano kick Paulies ass and knows maidana, who is 10X the fighter cano is, would wreck paulie

He needs paulie to hold on to keep the title hostage until he can cherry pick paulie to a fighter like Khan or Garcia when they move up
                This right here. They are not making this fight to protect Paulie.

Comment

Working...
                X