Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capcom: "there is a possibility" of Resident Evil series reboot

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-series-reboot

By Tom Phillips Published Thursday, 31 January 2013

Resident Evil developer Capcom has said that there is a possibility of a reboot for its 17-year-old survival-horror-turned-action-horror franchise.

Capcom's Masachika Kawata, producer of Resident Evil: Revelations, made the comments to Eurogamer during a discussion of his latest project, the Revelations remake for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U.

Questioned on the likelihood of changes to the series after middling reviews of Resident Evil 6 and the suggestion of a more open-world approach, Kawata mentioned the possibility of a reboot.

"If we did [go with an open-world], we would want to preserve what Resident Evil is and what makes it appealing to fans, while also making it accessible to new players. It would almost entail having a slight reboot to get the series into a place where it would work with open-world gameplay. That's just a personal opinion.

A reboot?

"A lot of decisions would have to be taken before something like that is done to the series, but it is something that..." he trailed off. "There is a possibility."

Kawata has worked on every game in the series since the acclaimed Resident Evil 4, and on classic Capcom titles such as PN03, Onimusha and Dino Crisis before that.

But it's in the upcoming console version of Revelations, a game which reintroduced some of the atmosphere and classic horror of earlier entries in the series, that he sees clues to the future of the Resident Evil.

"Once we see Revelations released on consoles, we'll be looking very carefully at how the title is received and what feedback we get. I think we'll get a lot of input from the fanbase and the media on what it means for Resident Evil, and what it could mean for the future of the series. We'll definitely be looking at that as a signpost for where we need to be going next.

"Moving forward I can see us focusing even more on the horror aspect and fear in the series, and see us making something scarier than we have already."

Kawata talked extensively about changes to the series, but dismissed the idea this was a direct response to Resident Evil 6, a game that Capcom said had only been successful "to some degree". After a brisk period of sales around launch, the publisher later admitted that the game's final total was "certain to fall short of the plan".

"We don't want to respond directly to, for example, the reaction to Resident Evil 6," Kawata explained, "[rather than] taking a chance to re-examine the series as a whole within ourselves, within the company, and decide where we want to take it from there.

"If anyone is waiting for an open-world Resident Evil, I think it will certainly be quite a while,"

Resident Evil: Revelations producer Masachika Kawata

"If anyone is waiting for an open-world Resident Evil, I think it will certainly be quite a while," he continued. "So in the meantime, I recommend giving Revelations a try."
    What dumb fans are asking for an open world Resident Evil game? That's the dumbest thing i've heard, that wouldn't even help the series. Do you want a Grand Theft Auto like Resident Evil now? That sh-t would suck. I do not play GTA or RDR or any of those games.

I seriously doubt it. To me, this seems like a case of a producer simply being cordial and polite with an interviewer who has asked him a blatantly ******ed question. People with a product to sell can't be blunt like you or I can when asked a stupid question because responding harshly has a negative impact on their ability to sell said product. It doesn't matter if that person is a video game producer, a star athlete, or a movie star : None of them want to jeopardize their profit margin.

There's no way in hell Capcom makes RE open-world. Sure, they're the dumbest ****ing company in the video game industry right now and seem hell bent on destroying fan-favorite franchises, but surely even they can't be idiotic enough to risk their highest selling franchise on venturing into a genre (open world games) which they have literally no experience in devolping in.

Lastly, I wouldn't give a **** even if they did decide to do this, because it surely couldn't be any ****tier than the series already is.

Call me when they finally decide that they care enough about their core fanbase to give them what they've been asking for for the last 8 years : Next gen HD remakes of the original trilogy.

Comment

And to call RE6 successful "to some degree" in regards to sales is just sheer lunacy : The game fell short of it's intended 7 million mark by 2.2 million copies which equals out to over 31%, or nearly one third of projected revenue lost.

To label that a success only shows you that Capcom is either incredibly stupid or in complete denial.

I don't think many people will be buying 'Revelations', either.

1.) It's not really getting an awful lot of marketing attention.

2.) It's too closely following the release of RE6, which left millions of RE fans with a bad taste in their mouth, so I doubt those people who hated 6 would be so quick to jump at the idea of buying another RE game.

I hope it fails and Capcom continues to hemorrhage money in regards to this series. Perhaps that will force them to consider going back to it's roots more seriously.
      Last edited by ßringer; 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I would have no faith in a reboot anyway. Resident Evil changed. It is what it is.

I'll continue to hold out hope that Dead Space returns to its roots, but not Resident Evil.

Comment

Dead Space 3 received mediocre ratings around the 7's and 70's, like RE6 did.

You never know what they mean by reboot. There was a reboot for RE4 and people loved it, it's the best in the series. Then there was a series reboot for RE6 and that game got crushed by the media and fans. Capcom CAN make RE what it used to be, but it just won't do it. We all know why, it's becoming more and more selfish to cater to different fanbases while leaving out it's true hardcore fans out in the cold.

Comment

A next gen HD remake of the trilogy would have me stuck in my house all year. Especially if they give it some good replay value.

Comment

The only thing i want to hear from crapcom is " Capcom vs Snk 3 For this summer" Fhuck Dmc Emo edition

Comment

Shyt needs to rebooted. 6 was horrible(And I'm a big defender of Resident Evil 5).

I wonder how open world would work. 4 had large areas, but the game still basically funnels you towards the goal. Open world would mean more among the lines of multiple paths so it doesn't lead you in a straight line per-se.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  A next gen HD remake of the trilogy would have me stuck in my house all year. Especially if they give it some good replay value.
                  Imagine if they did HD remakes that stuck to the originals in almost every aspect but also added new stuff like 'Mercenaries' and being able to upgrade your weapons.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you splooge.

Comment

On the issue of the series going back to it's roots, recently Kawata said that it'd be "very difficult" to take RE back to it's survival horror roots.

http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/resident-...-to-roots.html

He seems to be fixated on the old game mechanics for whatever reason. I'm not sure why he seems to think we'd want the same ****ty control mechanics, tedious inventory management, pre-rendered backgrounds, and fixed camera angles, though.

I guess it just goes to show that Capcom is completely aloof in regards to what RE's real fans want from them.

Comment

Working...
                    X