Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humberto Soto Meets Fidel Munoz on Sept. 11, Bigger Bouts Next?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humberto Soto Meets Fidel Munoz on Sept. 11, Bigger Bouts Next?

WBC lightweight (135 pounds) champion Humberto Soto, of Tijuana, Baja, California, Mex., will make the second defense of his title against hard-hitting, Colombian-born Fidel Monterrosa Munoz of Ecatepec, Mex., on Sept. 11 at Chetumal, Quintana Roo, Mex.

The 22-year-old Munoz (23-1, 18 KOs) has won four straight bouts since being stopped in five rounds by Ali Chebah in July of 2009, and is coming off of April's fifth-round knockout of Oscar Carrillo Villa.

The 30-year-old Soto (53-7-2, 32 knockouts) has an eight fight winning streak, a run that includes four knockouts.

In his past two victories, Soto scored a March 13, unanimous decision over 33-year-old, former world champion, David Diaz (35-3-1, 17 KOs), of Chicago, at The Dallas Cowboys' Stadium in Arlington, Tex., and another unanimous decision over Ricardo Dominguez (31-6-2, 19 KOs) on May 15 in Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mex.

The win over Diaz earned Soto the WBC title, and the win over Dominguez was in defense of it.

Top Rank Promotions CEO, Bob Arum, told FanHouse last week that he would entertain a lightweight tournament featuring Soto other fighters under his embrella with Zanfer Promotions in newly-crowned, IBF king Miguel Vazquez (26-3, 12 KOs) of Mexico and WBA titlist Miguel Acosta (27-3-2, 21 KOs) of Venzuela.

In June, Arum told FanHoose that he would like to eventually match the 30-year-old Soto against 36-year-old, former five-time world champion, Marco Antonio Barrera, of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mex.

"It's definitely going to be Soto for Barrera and vice versa. Soto likes it. Barrera likes it. They both like it," said the 78-year-old Arum, who likes the match up for Mexico City.

Barrera (66-7, 43 knockouts) ended a 15-month layoff with last June's unanimous decision in a lightweight clash against Brazil's Adailton De Jesus (26-5, 21 KOs) at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Tex.

Barrera-De Jesus took place on the undercard of a middleweight (160 pounds) non-title clash between Julio Cesar Chavez (41-0-1, 30 KOs) and John Duddy (29-2, 18 KOs), the latter of whom lost by a unanimous decision.

De Jesus was Barrera's first opponent since losing a five-round, technical decision to present WBA junior welterweight (140 pounds) champion, Amir Khan (23-1, 16 KOs), of England, on March 14, 2009.

Most known for winning two of three bouts in a trilogy with 33-year-old three-time titlist Erik Morales (49-6, 34 knockouts) of Tijuana, Mex., which, for Mexicans, rivals that between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, Barrera maintained his goal of earning a fourth crown in as many different weight classes.

Nicknamed, "The Baby Faced Assassin," Barrera, if successful in winning another crown, could become Mexico's first fighter to do so.

"Barrera agianst Soto is a great match up," said Arum. "They've been eyeing each other for a long, long time, so this one would to be a classic."

From Fan house

Does anyone care about Barrera-Soto?
    Last edited by Evil Abed; 08-19-2010, 03:16 PM.

I cares....

Comment

I looked Munoz's boxrec page because I'd never heard of him. In 24 fights he's fought 4 opponents with winning records. He lost to one of them. The over/under for this fight should be at 1.

As for Barrera vs. Soto. I don't really care. It's one of those fights I might download a few days later if I come across it and people say it's a good fight.
      Last edited by rj_ct; 08-19-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rj_ct View Post
        I looked Munoz's boxrec page because I'd never heard of him. In 24 fights he's fought 4 opponents with winning records. He lost to one of them. The over/under for this fight should be at 1.
        Soto is being over protected.

Freakin ridiculous.

Comment

Soto will never fight Peterson.

To much risk.

Comment

Originally posted by thephantom5 View Post
            Soto is being over protected.

Freakin ridiculous.
            Protected is more like it, they know he is at the tail end of his career and Soto/Barera or Morales

Comment

Working...
            X