No announcement yet.

Stiff on a heavy bag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff on a heavy bag

Sometimes my punches are snappy and powerfull and then sooner or later it comes to a day when I'm being very stiff, slow and not as powerful....

What do you guys think is wrong? Are legs overtrained? Something else?

I workout on a heavy bag only 3 times/week and one time I do jump rope sprints.

I usually do 4 rounds of "freestyle" punching and then 7-10 10sec rounds of drills with 10sec rest in between...

Originally posted by Vitez View Post
    Sometimes my punches are snappy and powerfull and then sooner or later it comes to a day when I'm being very stiff, slow and not as powerful....

What do you guys think is wrong? Are legs overtrained? Something else?

I workout on a heavy bag only 3 times/week and one time I do jump rope sprints.

I usually do 4 rounds of "freestyle" punching and then 7-10 10sec rounds of drills with 10sec rest in between...
    Fatigue leading to improper form would by my guess. Condition your mind to throw properly even when sore, tired, stiff, uninterested etc.

Don't practice improper form. If you're throwing like dookey, stop and do something else, until you're mentally prepared to go in and do your best work reguardless of how you feel.

Also does this show up doing your drills and your "freestyle?" or is it more common in one or the other.

Also I'm not a huge fan of 10* 10sec rounds of drills with 10 seconds of rest in between. Seems you're spending more time doing your "freestyle" than your drills... Is this because its more "fun" than drills?
    Start with your drills, extend them to 4-5* 2 minute rounds with 30s rest.
    Freestyle is your reward for putting in the tough work of drills.
    Last edited by DIB42; 01-05-2013, 08:59 PM.

Comment

The drills take less time than freestyle but they are the core of my training. It's what makes me puke if I eat something bag before training

something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh0jYbQUttY

I can't really imagine 2 min long drill....

Yes it's when I'm doing freestyle is where I want to hear that snap and power of my shots....

I think you are right with the fatigue so I guess I'll add some other exercises.

And yes drills first as well...

Comment

I used the same drills but would use a 3 minute round with not that amount of speed to get into shape! That drill in the video as he said is a prep up drill. On your break put your hands at your side just as you'd do in your corner time!
        Keep the bag up and away from you regardless of your speed and the punches are non stop regardless of speed. As you tire the punches need to land higher on the bag and you stop when you drop! Nah only kidding Arms shoulders lats and back! He mentioned balance and legs and you will feel them if your doing it correctly. When your done and you have a pump (blood) in your arms shadow box to simulate working that pump "out"!! Its a very good drill to build stamina and speed...........................after a few weeks I add power shots at the end of 25 seconds for about 10 seconds then go back to the steady 1/2! Ray.

Comment

its been fun and amazing to read these posts....

Comment

Originally posted by HollyMoon View Post
            its been fun and amazing to read these posts....
            I Agree here!

Comment

you have to do a lot of stretching before and after a work out if youre having stiffness. just a thought!

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
                Fatigue leading to improper form would by my guess. Condition your mind to throw properly even when sore, tired, stiff, uninterested etc.

Don't practice improper form. If you're throwing like dookey, stop and do something else, until you're mentally prepared to go in and do your best work reguardless of how you feel.

Also does this show up doing your drills and your "freestyle?" or is it more common in one or the other.

Also I'm not a huge fan of 10* 10sec rounds of drills with 10 seconds of rest in between. Seems you're spending more time doing your "freestyle" than your drills... Is this because its more "fun" than drills?
                Start with your drills, extend them to 4-5* 2 minute rounds with 30s rest.
                Freestyle is your reward for putting in the tough work of drills.
                I agree with this post. Put yourself through some drills. You need to get your muscles sore to build that burst endurance. Boxing doesn't slowly drain you, like running a mile. Boxing is more similar to doing interval sprints.

Try also relaxing and moving around while you throw your punches. Try going for speed and snap, rather than power. Sometimes that helps your muscles remember the movements, which'll help them tire less.

Comment

ok so my new workout:

warmup skipping 10min

footwork drill

stretching

heavy bag 5x2min 30sec rest

medicine ball slam

kettlebell swing

light shadow boxing

stretching

any comments?

Comment

in french we have a word to describe that routine.. its called "chit"
                    fine if you just wanna get into shape, horrible if you wanna compete..

Comment

Working...
                    X