No announcement yet.

Larry MERCHANT: "There's No Economic Incentive For Mayweather vs. Pacquiao"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry MERCHANT: "There's No Economic Incentive For Mayweather vs. Pacquiao"

LARRY MERCHANT ON MAYWEATHER VS. PACQUIAO: "THERE'S A DISINCENTIVE FINANCIALLY...THERE'S NO URGENCY"

By Ben Thompson | October 09, 2012

Earlier today, HBO veteran broadcaster Larry Merchant appeared on ESPN's First Take to share his opinion on why the highly-anticipated mega-fight between undefeated pound-for-pound champion Floyd Mayweather and 8-division world champion Manny Pacquiao has yet to happen. According to Merchant, the fact that both fighters already make nearly $50 million dollars a year is likely what's keeping both fighters content to go their separate ways. "[Mayweather is] not afraid of fighting Manny Pacquiao. I think, number one, what's held up this fight, and I've been in the 'yes it's going to happen' category when the no's have been carrying the day for a few years, is that there's a disincentive financially," Merchant explained. "They're both making upwards of $40-$50 million dollars a year, Pacquiao by fighting twice, Mayweather by fighting once, so there's no urgency. It's a business as well as a sport."

One might think that the solution is simply for fans to start boycotting the pay-per-view events of both Mayweather and Pacquiao, forcing them to fight each other if they hope to make the kind of money they've grown accustomed to. That task is not so easy, however, as Merchant points out, "Because they are, in effect, the heavyweight champions in America in terms of their popularity, in terms of reaching beyond boxing to the casual fan." Ultimately, Merchant thinks that even though Mayweather believes he'll beat Pacquiao, the damage his image would take should he lose to him is the main reason why the 43-0 fighter wants to maximize his revenue in the potential mega-fight.

"I think Floyd Mayweather thinks he's going to beat Manny Pacquiao. He will be the favorite. What Mayweather is afraid of more than anything else is an L, a loss. He has marketed himself as this unbeaten and unbeatable fighter, and to a lot of new fans or unsophisticated fans, they think that's a big, big deal, which it never has been, because if you fight enough good, young fighters in their prime, somebody's gonna beat you. It happened to Pacquiao even in a bad decision, but against a tough, good kid," Merchant continued. "I think he thinks that Pacquiao is the greatest threat to him. Why take, in the risk reward equation, if I can make $40 million dollars for fighting some guy [and] I've only got to give him $3 million dollars to take the fight, why am I going to do that [fight Pacquiao]? There have been comparable situations in the past. Lennox Lewis and Tyson didn't fight 'til well into their careers and broke records; they were past their primes. So, it's business. Will the heat still be there? Will they both have maintained their star status? Will they lose it? It's no unprecedented in boxing. Hopefully it'll happen some day. Meanwhile, we've got 3 big pay-per-view events in boxing a year instead of one big blowout."

Ben Thompson always spinning words to suit his agenda, gotta have a laugh at that.

Fight needs to happen in April. Hopefully the fighting spirit returns to Floyd by then.
    Last edited by subhuman; 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM.

Comment

It's true. I still hope and pray it happens in 2013. Honestly, it may be the last year that it means something. We have no clue what Floyd or Manny will look like in 2014, when Floyd is 37 and Manny 35.

Comment

Originally posted by subhuman View Post
        Ben Thompson always spinning words to suit his agenda, gotta have a laugh at that.

Floyd don't gotta fight Pac cause he makes moe doe!
        May I ask how it's spin when there are quotes around the whole paragraph?

But I'm definitely open to hearing about all the people who have said that Ben misquoted them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
          May I ask how it's spin when there are quotes around the whole paragraph?

But I'm definitely open to hearing about all the people who have said that Ben misquoted them.
          No you're right, that specific article didn't have any spinning of words. But he's notorious for doing so in others.

Don't forget, this is the same guy who begged Pacquiao for an interview and then bashes him in every other one. But I guess it makes sense cause the website isn't really seen as a reliable source.

Comment

Important part was in the next paragraph. Floyd scared to lose the "0".

"I think Floyd Mayweather thinks he's going to beat Manny Pacquiao. He will be the favorite. What Mayweather is afraid of more than anything else is an L, a loss. He has marketed himself as this unbeaten and unbeatable fighter, and to a lot of new fans or unsophisticated fans, they think that's a big, big deal, which it never has been, because if you fight enough good, young fighters in their prime, somebody's gonna beat you."

Comment

Fight needs to happen in April. Hopefully the fighting spirit returns to Floyd by then.
              For somebody who's keen to pointing out agendas, you seem to make your way around a lot of Mayweather threads speaking highly of Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
                For somebody who's keen to pointing out agendas, you seem to make your way around a lot of Mayweather threads speaking highly of Mayweather.
                Thanks? It's not like Mayweather is a bum, most of his fans are, but the man himself is the pound for pound best. I just want to see him fight Pacquiao already so he can move on to guys like Canelo (who by then should have a legit win at 54) and Martinez.

Comment

Thanks? It's not like Mayweather is a bum, most of his fans are, but the man himself is the pound for pound best. I just want to see him fight Pacquiao already so he can move on to guys like Canelo (who by then should have a legit win at 54) and Martinez.
                  Yeah, there was sarcasm there. Should stop wasting time accusing others as being huggers when it's obvious that you either have affinity for pacquiao or an agenda like most who just hate Mayweather. If you hate him, that's okay, but why fill his threads with your time?

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
                    Yeah, there was sarcasm there. Should stop wasting time accusing others as being huggers when it's obvious that you either have affinity for pacquiao or an agenda like most who just hate Mayweather. If you hate him, that's okay, but why fill his threads with your time?
                    Uhh if you actually read my post you'd see I don't hate any fighter. I don't even dislike Floyd, his obsessive fans are a whole other story. I called Floyd the p4p best and you think I'm hating? Stay educated kids.

Comment

Working...
                    X