No announcement yet.

Current heavyweights are too inactive

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current heavyweights are too inactive

I think the heavyweight division is about as good as it's ever been. But there is one real weakness that is ruining it.

Too many heavyweights are inactive.

Alexander Dimitrenko: fought only once in 2009, has no fight scheduled yet this year.

David Haye: fought only once in 2009, has fought once this year but now he says he needs a rest

Sergey Lyakhovich: went 18 months without fighting three times now.

Nicolay Valuev: fought only once in 2009, his promoter Don King ducked Vitali and Nicolay has no fight scheduled so far for 2010

Kevin Johnson: has no fight scheduled so far in 2010

Ray Austin: hasn't fought this year, nothing scheduled

Ruslan Chagaev: went 11 months without fighting after his loss to Wladimir, fought only once in 2007 and once in 2008

I believe boxers should fight three or four times per year. Anything less than the preparation for fighting twice a year will reduce their sharpness when they finally do return. A lot of mediocre performances are due to ring rust and reduced physical fitness from inactivity.

Good thing Tomasz Adamek is there. At the rate he's going, he'll have four fights in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerDood View Post
      Good thing Tomasz Adamek is there. At the rate he's going, he'll have four fights in 2010.
      I was going to write the exact same thing.

Comment

Vitaly is another guys since his comeback has stayed active.

Comment

Sometimes I feel bad for the Klitschkos, they are exceptional fighters but the division sucks like never before and they'll never get the credit they deserve because of that.

Comment

yea i agree, especially haye...he needs to fight more often. david tua is doing pretty good tho

Comment

most of these guys sit on their asses hoping that miraculously a title shot just falls on their lap. They go out, lose for a nice payday, then go home waiting for the thing to happen all over again.

fighting contenders and earning your titleshot is too much work. it's not anywhere in the boxer's job description.

soon we'll start seeing our neighbors and middle aged men from retirement homes putting gloves on, because it's that easy. and all that once every ten years activity wont hurt them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tunney! View Post
                I think the heavyweight division is about as good as it's ever been. But there is one real weakness that is ruining it.

Alexander Dimitrenko: fought only once in 2009, has no fight scheduled yet this year.

David Haye: fought only once in 2009, has fought once this year but now he says he needs a rest

Nicolay Valuev: fought only once in 2009, his promoter Don King ducked Vitali and Nicolay has no fight scheduled so far for 2010

Ruslan Chagaev: went 11 months without fighting after his loss to Wladimir, fought only once in 2007 and once in 2008

I believe boxers should fight three or four times per year. Anything less than the preparation for fighting twice a year will reduce their sharpness when they finally do return. A lot of mediocre performances are due to ring rust and reduced physical fitness from inactivity.
                True, thats one of the only things that annoy me about Haye... he isn't active enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Tunney! View Post

Tunney you really believe it's as good as it's ever been? I'm not one of those people who believe it's at its worst stage ever.

But it's not as good as some era's I could name, not a knock on the Klitschko's they are clearing out there era and thats all they can do.

Comment

Heavyweights can just wait for their next title shot without fighting, Thats easier when there are three champions. If there was one titlist, one champion, contenders would have to fight each other for a ranking. It's not only the contenders that are deluded, have three titlists delutes the titles too.

Comment

Working...
                    X