No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Barrett Likely Ends David Tua's Career With Big Win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Barrett Likely Ends David Tua's Career With Big Win

Telstra Clear Events Centre, Manukau City, New Zealand - Monte Barrett (35-9-2, 20KOs) won a twelve round unanimous decision over David Tua (54-4-2, 43KOs). The scores were 114-113, 115-112 and 115-112. Barrett captures the WBO Asia Pacific and WBO Oriental heavyweight titles.

[Click Here To Read More]

Anyone interested, our round by round discussion was here.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=501013

David didn't start fighting until round 6 or 7. He lost the fight for himself.

He said he'd continue fighting, but he should retire. Barrett is a C level fighter, if you can't beat him, you need to retire.

Comment

tua is not gonna retire (he needs money) but i wish he would.

you never want to go out on an L but as far as losses go that was a good one to go out on.

getting outboxed , come on late , show your power , opponent tries to survive......

typical tua fight. that was a good fight for tua to go out on.

Comment

All credit goes out to monte barrett! what a legend to get up from that knockdown which was more like a ko!
        HBO get monte barrett his job! he deserves it! great man!

Comment

Originally posted by Hayehammer View Post
          All credit goes out to monte barrett! what a legend to get up from that knockdown which was more like a ko!
          HBO get monte barrett his job! he deserves it! great man!
          anyways......

barrett is 1. past it 2. wasn't very good when he wasn't past it

good win for him (relatively) but it wasn't a notable fight nor win in the big picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
            anyways......

good win for him (relatively) but it wasn't a notable fight nor win in the big picture.
            tua is even more past it but anyways! i still can give praise for such a heart like barrett has! WAR TWO GUNZ ! He should hang his gloves up he has other good options in life after boxing! i dont want to see him fighting wladimir klistchko again cause he is in that position now! tua was ranked number 2 by the wbo

Comment

My take is a bit different: good heavyweight fight, certainly better than what we got from Wlad and Haye. The first six rounds were probably as good as Barrett has ever fought in his life -- he used movement and a strong jab to totally confound Tua.

After round six, though, Tua picked it up and got more comfortable -- Barrett started to hold and should have been penalized for it (he did that in their first fight as well). Tua landed the cleaner and more effective shots for the second half of the fight and then in the last two rounds rocked Barrett hard. Barrett was almost out and saved by the bell in round 11, and he was rocked hard and put down in round 12.

Watching the replay, I still don't know how Barrett got up from that knockdown. It was a flush, hard shot and his eyes were rolling in his head. Almost makes me believe in the Jesus stuff Monte talked about after the match.

I had Tua edgeing it 114-113 with the 10-8 final round. I don't think Tua's conditioning hurt him, because he was strong at the end of the fight. He just took too long to adjust to what Barrett was doing. Seems like he didn't have enough good sparring partners.

I think he deserves another shot at it, but Barrett sounds like he wants to enter the WWE.
              Last edited by ChopperRead; 08-13-2011, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                anyways......

True. But you gotta admit that getting up from that knock down and staying up was pretty damn impressive. I bet everyone watching (well, I certainly did anyway) thought that was instant KO the way Barrett went down. He had the ten count KO look about him the way he fell.

Comment

Sloppy research by the article author - He says in the final paragraph that in the 12th round, Tua put Barrett down for the first time in his career.... Innacurate! Barrett has tasted the canvas many times, including this ***** slapping....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4CobVNTwL0

****EDIT - Author just revised his article
                  Last edited by anthonysoprano; 08-13-2011, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post

True. But you gotta admit that getting up from that knock down and staying up was pretty damn impressive. I bet everyone watching (well, I certainly did anyway) thought that was instant KO the way Barrett went down. He had the ten count KO look about him the way he fell.
                    at first i was like this

then i was like this

Comment

Working...
                    X