No announcement yet.

Robert Helenius vs. Wladimir Klitschko

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
    I realize Helenius is rated #1 in the WBO (after the Williams win which is laughable) but is Helenius actually the mandatory? I thought there was talk a while ago about him vs Boytsov for that designation? I hope he has to face someone more credible before he becomes mandatory. Boytsov, Ortiz, Fury, Pianeta are all in the top 10.

I was looking through Klitschko's resume and couldn't remember who the last WBO mandatory was. Either Peter or Chambers wasn't it? That was 2 years ago.

Well being able to use two arms will be beneficial for Robert.
    It looks like Helenius is indeed is the WBO mandatory now.

I agree it would make more sense for Helenius to fight a final eliminator against someone like Boytsov or Pianeta.

But Helenius was WBO #1 before his injury, and his last opponent Sherman Williams was ranked by the WBO (10 if I remember correctly).

The last WBO heavyweight final eliminator was July 4, 2009 between Alexander Dimitrenko and Eddie Chambers, so Chambers became mandatory 3 1/2 years ago. They haven't had an eliminator since then.

Comment

If Wlad deserves respect, he deserves not to be matched up with a joke like Helenius.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
        If Wlad deserves respect, he deserves not to be matched up with a joke like Helenius.
        He has no choice if he wants to keep his WBO belt.

However, I think the WBO will be flexible and let him fight his other mandatories first.

I'm hoping to see Wlad vs. Povetkin in March, and then Wlad vs. his IBF mandatory (winner of Pulev and Cunningham/Adamek) in the summer.

Then, Helenius in the late fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          He has no choice if he wants to keep his WBO belt.

However, I think the WBO will be flexible and let him fight his other mandatories first.

I'm hoping to see Wlad vs. Povetkin in March.
          Same with Povetkin, the guy who arguably lost to a barely HW Huck.

Chisora-Wlad would be a good fight, at least there theres an element of challenge

Comment

Wlad is probably at least 2 levels above the competition right now. Among all I would give Pulev the best chance to give at least a semi-competitive fight.

There are several other fights that I would like to see in 2013 or early 2014 including Price and Tyson. Povetkin will be sorted sometime next year..

There is really noone in my sight who would bother Wlad. It is very likely he won't be beaten any more.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
              Same with Povetkin, the guy who arguably lost to a barely HW Huck.

Chisora-Wlad would be a good fight, at least there theres an element of challenge
              I don't think so. Chisora is pretty much one dimensional and he comes forward. He would be hammered by Wlad's jab all night long and probably taken out in the later rounds.

Actually if Haye wasn't such a joke I would like to see the rematch eventually, but only if Haye takes Povetkin, Pulev or some other TOP10 contender. I am not sure if he would be able to do that...

Comment

Im a pretty big fan of Helenius, and I actually think the CHisora fight was a lot closer than most make out. How he continued to fight with a tweaked shoulder, and a broken hand is jsut a testament to his ability, or at least potential ability at this point in his career.
                He needs more fights - way more fights with much better competition before he entertains a Wlad fight. He doesn't need the payday - he sells pretty damn good in Finland.

THe obvious fight for him next is a Chisora rematch. Maybe one more tuneup, and then Chisora rematch in the summer. I'd bet Helenius stops him this time.

Should he prevail, the latter half of 2013 is full of options - many other young, and up and coming HW's like Fury, Price, Boystov. . . ANd of course Pulev, but I'd stay far away from Pulev. . Or guys like Arreola, Ustinov. . These would all be great fights for Robert to break through with, and then throw his name in the hat for a Klitschko fight late 2013, or early 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                  It looks like Helenius is indeed is the WBO mandatory now.

I agree it would make more sense for Helenius to fight a final eliminator against someone like Boytsov or Pianeta.

But Helenius was WBO #1 before his injury, and his last opponent Sherman Williams was ranked by the WBO (10 if I remember correctly).

The last WBO heavyweight final eliminator was July 4, 2009 between Alexander Dimitrenko and Eddie Chambers, so Chambers became mandatory 3 1/2 years ago. They haven't had an eliminator since then.
                  Assuming Adamek wins then he will have to fight Pulev around March and the winner with a title shot in the summer for that timeline to work. Its a busy schedule for the IBF winner if that happens.

Lulz Sauerland will have a breakdown if he beats all three of their HW's Povetkin, Pulev, Helenius in the same year.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
                    Im a pretty big fan of Helenius, and I actually think the CHisora fight was a lot closer than most make out. How he continued to fight with a tweaked shoulder, and a broken hand is jsut a testament to his ability, or at least potential ability at this point in his career.
                    He needs more fights - way more fights with much better competition before he entertains a Wlad fight. He doesn't need the payday - he sells pretty damn good in Finland.

THe obvious fight for him next is a Chisora rematch. Maybe one more tuneup, and then Chisora rematch in the summer. I'd bet Helenius stops him this time.

Should he prevail, the latter half of 2013 is full of options - many other young, and up and coming HW's like Fury, Price, Boystov. . . ANd of course Pulev, but I'd stay far away from Pulev. . Or guys like Arreola, Ustinov. . These would all be great fights for Robert to break through with, and then throw his name in the hat for a Klitschko fight late 2013, or early 2014.
                    I agree with you on the first comment and his shoulder wasn't just tweaked. He injured it 6 weeks before the fight with torn tendons and ligaments and it progressivly got worse due to all the training to the point where his collar bone had dropped down because the supporting tissue was torn or missing. The doctors thought he may have to retire it was so bad.
                    Last edited by Mikhnienko; 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Helenius is awful. Wlad will give him permanent brain damage.

Comment

Working...
                      X