Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: What is The Best Use of HBO's 24/7 Series?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: What is The Best Use of HBO's 24/7 Series?

by Cliff Rold - For its many missteps in recent years, HBO Boxing has introduced one vehicle that would be hard to recognize as anything other than successful: 24/7. The multi-part infomercial disguised as documentary television assisted in elevating Floyd Mayweather to the next level (and the Welterweight leader is given credit for much of its inception).

Results have varied as to how much 24/7 has moved buy rates in all its uses, but there is no doubt the show can rope in the uninitiated channel surfer. The narration of actor Liev Schreiber alone is enough to stop anyone. His voice just says, “Hey, gravitas here.” When that happens, when the clicking of the remote stops, the opportunity to pique curiosity opens up. The curious can become the customer without too large a leap.

Viewed in that vein, 24/7 is an avenue for fan creation.

So then the question becomes how best to travel the avenue. There are times when it has fallen flat. Joe Calzaghe-Roy Jones wasn’t hotly anticipated at signing and was an average sell on pay-per-view. One could argue it was one last example of how much more interesting HBO always found Jones than a lot of the sporting public did. Calzaghe retired after the fight. Jones should have been retired well before the Calzaghe outing. [Click Here To Read More]

Mayweather-Hatton was the best 24/7 ever.

Comment

Nothing will top Cotto-Margarito II for me. Ever.

Comment

Trying to catch the attention of nonboxing fans and selling them the fight real boxing fans will tell u if theyre buying a fight or not right when its announced.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
          Nothing will top Cotto-Margarito II , Ever.
          have to agree

Comment

Make ****ty fights appear interesting/competitive. (Calzaghe-Jones)

Attract interest from non-boxing fans. (All of 'em)

Introduce the personalities of rising stars. (Timmeh!)

Display honest-to-god animosity in all it's glory. (Cotto-Margarito II)

Comment

I know they don't like to show the sparring in order not to reveal what they are working on, but I'd at least like to see more of the fighters' workouts.

Also, Dawson vs. Ward deserves the treatment because it's the two best fighters in two different weight classes going at each other. Whether or not one likes their styles is irrelevant.

Comment

DLH vs. Mayweather for me.

Comment

Margarito Cotto II was the best.... it had everything

A person I hate to see on 24/7 though, is Mayweather. His abnoxious 'Money' pesona is annoying. Not to mention his whining about the lack of credit he recieves...in every single episode of every single series hes in....

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                    Margarito Cotto II was the best.... it had everything

A person I hate to see on 24/7 though, is Mayweather. His abnoxious 'Money' pesona is annoying. Not to mention his whining about the lack of credit he recieves...in every single episode of every single series hes in....
                    Cottos the most boring guy in boxing. He dont smile. He dont say ****.

Comment

Working...
                    X