Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings to all. Lookin for guidance.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings to all. Lookin for guidance.

Greetings everyone.

I know there is a lot of great information on here and I have not gotten a chance to look at all of it, but I am just starting out and would appreciate some straight forward answers about getting into boxing.

I am 26 years old, have been lounging around for the past year studying (and eating like a pig). Was laid off of a labor job last year and since going back into school, I have put on a lot of weight. No excuses. I am not making any. I am ready to move forward.

I am 5'10 and weigh 265 lbs. I have a very wide frame and a very strong upper body. When I was 210, I was in nasty good shape. I am looking to join a boxing gym here in Chicago. Here is what I am looking for:

Lose weight before spending the cash on a boxing gym? (Cardio, hit the weights, etc.)?

I have a membership to a regular gym that has a good amount of weights, treadmills, etc.

Sign up for the gym regardless to immerse myself? I have spoke to a few gym owners and they told me to sign up regardless of my size. They said the weight will come off with hard work.

This is a lifestyle adjustment and discipline that I really want to incorporate into myself.

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

-T

Originally posted by ChitownMisfit View Post

Lose weight before spending the cash on a boxing gym? (Cardio, hit the weights, etc.)?

Sign up for the gym regardless to immerse myself? I have spoke to a few gym owners and they told me to sign up regardless of my size. They said the weight will come off with hard work.
    Depends on your mentality. If being out-of-shape in the gym among people in good shape would motivate you to - sign up of course. If you feel discouraged or, say, afraid of being mocked, do some homework first. So, it all depends on you and gym environment.

Comment

Thanks NVSemin for the prompt reply.

I don't mind being out of shape in the gym and I am sure it would motivate me. The instructors seem to be really open to it as well. I am really receptive to criticism. I am really tired of living the past year in a chair of fat

I am going to join in about two weeks when my finals are over. Do you have an recommendations as for getting into shape until then? Is it optimal to just do cardio to shed this weight?

I usually would do strength training 3-4 days a week and heavy cardio 6 days a week.

Thanks again for your help bro. I am getting my ipod ready to go out for a few mile jog at the moment.

Comment

Thanks NVSemin for the prompt reply.

I don't mind being out of shape in the gym and I am sure it would motivate me. The instructors seem to be really open to it as well. I am really receptive to criticism. I am really tired of living the past year in a chair of fat

I am going to join in about two weeks when my finals are over. Do you have an recommendations as for getting into shape until then? Is it optimal to just do cardio to shed this weight?

I usually would do strength training 3-4 days a week and heavy cardio 6 days a week.

Thanks again for your help bro. I am getting my ipod ready to go out for a few mile jog at the moment.
        If I were you, I would take it slow. Cardio is the key, because, it determines how much and how intensely you can actually work. So forget for a while about weightloss, focus on cardio and increasing workout time and intensity. Once you are ready to put really good work, the weight will go quite fast.

I personally have dropped 10kg (20lbs) over the period of 5-6 months recently.

Comment

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post
          If I were you, I would take it slow. Cardio is the key, because, it determines how much and how intensely you can actually work. So forget for a while about weightloss, focus on cardio and increasing workout time and intensity. Once you are ready to put really good work, the weight will go quite fast.

I personally have dropped 10kg (20lbs) over the period of 5-6 months recently.
          Thank you buddy. Congrats on your weight loss. I am going to start slow with my conditioning and ease my way in. As soon as my semester of school is done, I am going to sign up for the gym.

Any suggestions on how often to run? I am thinking about getting some gloves and a heavy bag as well.

Comment

Greetings everyone.

I know there is a lot of great information on here and I have not gotten a chance to look at all of it, but I am just starting out and would appreciate some straight forward answers about getting into boxing.

I am 26 years old, have been lounging around for the past year studying (and eating like a pig). Was laid off of a labor job last year and since going back into school, I have put on a lot of weight. No excuses. I am not making any. I am ready to move forward.

I am 5'10 and weigh 265 lbs. I have a very wide frame and a very strong upper body. When I was 210, I was in nasty good shape. I am looking to join a boxing gym here in Chicago. Here is what I am looking for:

I have a membership to a regular gym that has a good amount of weights, treadmills, etc.

This is a lifestyle adjustment and discipline that I really want to incorporate into myself.

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

-T
            If you're paying for a membership at a regular gym, I'd look into canceling it. Its probably significantly more expensive than a boxing gym, and you'll find a boxing gym will cause the weight to fall off a lot quicker than a fancy gym.

In fairness though, having crap cardio sucks in a boxing gym, as everything sucks the wind right out of you. On the flip side though, boxing is great cardio, so you'll catch up rather quickly.

This is a boxing forum,. and we're all partial to boxing, so I don't know if my opinion is really unbiased here...

Comment

DIB420,

Thank you for the advice. My regular gym is a lot cheaper than a boxing gym. I was thinking of staying there for the next three weeks until I finish this semester of school. When I am done with school, I want to go balls to the wall in a boxing gym.

I was thinking that I could do my cardio every morning outdoors. Since the weather in Chicago is looking to turn up over here, that would be a valuable solution.

The boxing gyms over here are pretty pricey. The prices are competitive in Chicago. I don't mind spending the extra cash to go to a boxing gym because I am completely willing to commit myself to boxing. I love everything about it and am mad I did not get into it earlier. I need to get into a boxing gym because technique and training is going to be very important to me.

I figure the boxing gym will help me shred the weight too. When I immerse myself into something, I am entirely in it.

Comment

DIB420,

Thank you for the advice. My regular gym is a lot cheaper than a boxing gym. I was thinking of staying there for the next three weeks until I finish this semester of school. When I am done with school, I want to go balls to the wall in a boxing gym.

I was thinking that I could do my cardio every morning outdoors. Since the weather in Chicago is looking to turn up over here, that would be a valuable solution.

The boxing gyms over here are pretty pricey. The prices are competitive in Chicago. I don't mind spending the extra cash to go to a boxing gym because I am completely willing to commit myself to boxing. I love everything about it and am mad I did not get into it earlier. I need to get into a boxing gym because technique and training is going to be very important to me.

I figure the boxing gym will help me shred the weight too. When I immerse myself into something, I am entirely in it.

If you can be patient, I'd go ahead and ride out your current gym until the semester ends. Its a good chance to focus on your cardio, and when you're off of school you can switch and focus on boxing.

If you're crazy into boxing, and you sound like you are, I'd finish up with at least this semester of school before you hop in.... otherwise you'll be thinking boxing when you should be thinking school.

Comment

I personally think you should get into it right away instead of losing weight & stuff first if you really wanna immerse yourself because 1) you're 26 which is considered a really late start, and 2) if you really apply yourself you're gonna get in good shape anyways. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a head start on your cardio though, it is essential to have good cardio in boxing.

Also, it's normal for a boxing gym to be way more expensive than a regular gym, especially nowadays where boxing gyms are less plentiful. Main reason why it's more expensive though is because you're learning a skill. It's also not like a regular gym where you can just come in, get your sets off and bounce. Trainers need to be around to watch over sparring sessions as well as provide guidance so that you can actually develop skills. On top of that, most regular gyms are chains or major companies which is part of why they can be cheap, but boxing gyms on the other hand aren't. Like you can find an LA fitness in just about any city (there's even one 20 minutes away from me and i live in f-cking Canada lol), but you aint gonna find another Wildcard, Kronk, or Mayweather boxing club.

Hope that helps

Comment

If being out-of-shape in the gym among individuals fit would encourage you to - indication up of course. If you experience frustrated or, say, scared of being mocked, do some preparation first. So, it all relies on you and gym atmosphere.

Cary Personal Trainer
                    Last edited by Dasim22; 12-03-2013, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X