No announcement yet.

Joe Louis' Best Moment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Louis' Best Moment

I'm gonna go with the 2nd fight against Schmeling. what do you guys think?

Originally posted by Skydog
    I'm gonna go with the 2nd fight against Schmeling. what do you guys think?
    I would have to agree. Personally I think Louis was under more pressure to win(in that fight) than any athlete in history. He wasn't just fighting for revenge against the only person to beat him, he was fighting against the whole Nazi regime(sp?)(even though Schmeling wasn't a Nazi)and against his own countrymen who descriminated him for his race. Granted he had a large white following leading up to the fight, but had he lost he probably would have been called an overhyped ______ by the same whites that cheered him on. Not only did Louis win, he did it in spectacular fashion. I believe some reporters even said at one point Schmeling screamed like a woman after being hit.

Comment

Yes, definetely the second Schmeling fight. No doubt.

Comment

agreed, that second fight was big and the pressure was ridiculous. if you knew nothing else about louis, the two fights with schmeling would be enough to tell you the kind of fighter he was.
        from a different pov, i'm gonna also throw in his fights with joe walcott. he was passed his prime and took vicious shots and got dropped alot. but he kept coming. and in the second fight knocked walcot out. both those guys gave and took serious punishment, great fights.
        consider how heavyweights fight now.
        tyson lost all his tough fights since he turned 30.
        now look at how louis fought after he hit 30.
        pretty amazing huh?

Comment

The 2nd fight with Walcott all the way. That was an incredible display of heart from an aging champion. In terms of actualy ability on the part of Louis I say a tie between Max Baer (Louis's own choice of his best performance BTW) and Schmeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
            The 2nd fight with Walcott all the way. That was an incredible display of heart from an aging champion. In terms of actualy ability on the part of Louis I say a tie between Max Baer (Louis's own choice of his best performance BTW) and Schmeling.
            ah... the baer fight. forgot about that one.
            defintely a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_rico
              ah... the baer fight. forgot about that one.
              defintely a classic.
              even though Baer was drunk?

I have to go with Schmeling 2. It's signifigance and the revenge factor make it my pick.

Comment

The Schmeling fight was Louis' greatest moment of his career.

Comment

Working...
                X