No announcement yet.

Pac drops Porter in sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pac drops Porter in sparring?

With chief trainer Freddie Roach expected to be missed the entire week this week, Pacquiao, who is staking his 147-pound crown against three-division titleholder Mosley May 7 (May 8 in Manila), looked to have ran out of sparring partner following his sending future welterweight contender Shawn Porter to the canvas in last Saturday’s session.

Porter, one of the men who helped the eight-division champion prepare in his fight against Miguel Cotto three years ago Pacquiao’s chief mate in this bout, absorbed a powerful left cross to the chin that sent him at the seats of his pants in the third round of their session and refused to continue what was billed an eight-round skirmish.

Two days ago last Thursday, the Filipino southpaw was reported to have also almost send an unidentified sparring mate kissing the floor and was only saved by the ropes from completely going down in what Roach himself said was proof that Pacquiao has already regained his punching power.

Roach, by the way, is scheduled to fly to Manchestrer, England to be in the corner another ward, Amir Khan, who is fighting Paul McCloskey this Saturday (Sunday in Manila).

Roach, in an overseas telephone interview, could not tell whether Porter will be retained or replaced, saying the former U.S Olympic team hopeful is the only Pacquiao mate capable of matching Mosley’s fighting style, speed and power.

With the way Pacquiao punished Porter though, it is doubted if the American will continue with his job and be battered that might cost him his boxing career. Lightweight David Rodela, Rashad Halloway and Karim Mayfield, who have been providing the pound-for-pound king with the needed quickness, remain in the training stable.

Strength and conditioning coach Alex Ariza related that Porter and Pacquiao were giving each other hell in the first and second round of their sparring with the former connecting with a pair of right straights early in the third.

It was then that the Filipino boxing hero unleashed his feared left cross, the same weapon he used in retiring legendary Oscar DeLa Hoya and Miguel Cotto, among his immediate previous opponents.

Whether Porter remains, Ariza said his and Roach’s immediate concern at this crucial stage of preparations is finding the sparring mate that can provide Pacquiao with the thing the former had been providing him with.
    “There’s nothing to worry really. Everything has been put in place, the camp is going smoothly and Manny has been re-learning things he ought to recover,” Roach said though. “If Porter quits, we’ll find somebody with the same caliber as his.”

http://philboxing.com/news/story-53467.html

this smells fishy to me, like a fake press release to get into shane's head.

ariza releasing the name of the sparring partner that supposedly got dropped?

saying porter's career could be in jeopardy?

c'mon son!

Originally posted by MGM-134 View Post
    this smells fishy to me, like a fake press release to get into shane's head.

ariza releasing the name of the sparring partner that supposedly got dropped?

saying porter's career could be in jeopardy?

c'mon son!

Porter is overrated and a bum. He's a cool guy but for a pro boxer, he has too many flaws. I wouldn't be surprised if Porter got dropped from seeing him fight.

Comment

Let me assure you that Eddie Alinea, the sports section editor of the Manila Bulletin is a legit sports writer who won't resort to something you suspect. I still want to hear further confirmation though. Let's see if porter stays with team pacquiao or not. Better yet, let's ask him once he post here. Although, I know he would say that let what happened in the gym stays in the gym, we can read between lines to see if he really was KD'ed that bad by pac or not.

Comment

Why would it have to be fake?

Comment

Originally posted by PinoyKiller View Post
          Porter is overrated and a bum. He's a cool guy but for a pro boxer, he has too many flaws. I wouldn't be surprised if Porter got dropped from seeing him fight.
          LOL!!!

Hey PK my man, you think Omar Henry will be a good replacement? I hear he's making an important announcement tomorrow, so maybe he'll announce that he'd be sparring with pacquiao and collect that $10 000 reward put up by roach for anyone who'd KD pac in a sparring. Wachu think?

Comment

He already dropped Porter for the Cotto fight.

He also nearly dropped his other sparring partner Karim Mayfield on his first sparring day back in Wild Card but the ropes saved him.

Comment

Originally posted by ZigZag View Post
              Why would it have to be fake?
              Maybe because Pac wasn't on PED during sparrings?

Comment

Originally posted by Seleção No. 13 View Post
                He already dropped Porter for the Cotto fight.

He also nearly dropped his other sparring partner Karim Mayfield on his first sparring day back in Wild Card but the ropes saved him.
                Yeah I read about that one but I also read about porter knocking down pac in a sparring which he denied when asked by other posters in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
                  LOL!!!

Hey PK my man, you think Omar Henry will be a good replacement? I hear he's making an important announcement tomorrow, so maybe he'll announce that he'd be sparring with pacquiao and collect that $10 000 reward put up by roach for anyone who'd KD pac in a sparring. Wachu think?
                  Omar fights more like Cotto but he needs to get some shine from Pac! Omar could be a star too

They should just pay Mosely himself to spar because Mosely needs all the help he can get. He needs to learn how Pac fights.

Comment

Originally posted by PinoyKiller View Post
                    Omar fights more like Cotto but he needs to get some shine from Pac! Omar could be a star too

They should just pay Mosely himself to spar because Mosely needs all the help he can get. He needs to learn how Pac fights.
                    ahahahaha! I think that's a better idea. Maybe team pacquiao should hire you as a consultant instead of that prick named Koncz.

Comment

Working...
                    X