Tyson Fury vs Vitali Klitschko

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson Fury vs Vitali Klitschko

Yeah, I did it, and here's why:

Tyson Fury has come a long way from where he was just three years ago. The first McDermott fight was the turning point of his career. Fury was just a tall hw with the skill level of a Tye Fields; he was a big guy with good power but bad technique and he looked like a KO waiting to happen.

McDermott was his real first test and IMO Fury was lucky to get the decision (the ref was the only judge). To my recollection, It was back and forth action with both guys being hurt and Fury essentially gassing out halfway through the fight.

Since that fight Tyson Fury has improved in every aspect of his game. This guy has genuine skills now - he uses his long reach, he has very good movement and footwork, he occasionally changes from orthodox to southpaw and throws nice combinations. His stamina and conditioning have greatly improved as well and as we saw last night, he easily went 12 rounds - he threw (and landed) a lot of punches and he peddled around the ring a lot.

Having said that, there has been mention of him facing Vitali Klitschko (the Johnson fight may or may not have been an eliminator, it's not clear) if the elder Klitschko brother does not retire. And frankly, I like this fight...

Vitali is past his prime, is up there in age and he looked somewhat vulnerable in his last fight.

Stylistically this is great fight. Both guys are physically gifted, height and long reach make them both rangy. Vitali likes keep his hands low and uses his spacing to get in/out of punching range. Vitali has clubbing like punches and packs good power. Fury keeps a high guard (some of time) and likes to throw straight one-twos down the pipe coupled with occasional body shots. Fury likes to move side-to-side and he switches to southpaw to add an extra element to his offense.

Right now I could see a scenario where Fury upsets Klitschko. Fury has pretty good endurance and stamina and his workrate is pretty high for a hw. He's not a one punch knockout artist, he throws a lot of jab and right hands and once he gets into his rhythm he throws some good combinations. Vitali is past his prime and getting up there in years and he might be prone to being outworked.

What are your thoughts/ opinions/ predictions?...
    Klitschko by KO/TKO
    62.96%
    Klitschko by Decision
    18.52%
    Fury by KO/TKO
    0.00%
    Fury by Decision
    7.41%
    Very closely matched, not sure
    11.11%

Vitali by brutal KO.

Comment

I think you're right about his huge improvements. He was previously trading on very little, but he's got himself into great shape and technically looks a lot better. He's made extremely easy work of some pretty solid guys in Maddalone and Rogan.

I still don't think he's ready for either Klitschko.

Comment

Fury looked really good against Johnson. I can actually take him seriously now after uppercutting himself. His defense, movement and combination punching looked really good. I thought he could use more power; that would be the icing on the cake.

But he can't beat Vitali.

We'll never see another K2 brother lose.

Comment

Yes, Fury has improved; but, he hasn't fought any serious contenders yet. Johnson was in a shell all night.

His footwork is still pretty crap. He needs to work on his defence and actually make up his mind what stance he'll adopt. He won't be able to keep switching against an offensive fighter.

What impresses me about Fury is his discipline, which is essential. If he can work on the above, he COULD be a genuine contender in 2013.

Comment

It's a real shame for Fury's development that Johnson didn't show up last night.

Comment

I give Fury very little change against Wladimir but like I stated, I could see a scenario where Fury outworks Vitali.

To me Vitali looked vulnerable in the Charr fight. Not that Charr was doing anything amazing but he was getting to Vitali just a tad and was landing some decent shots. Vitali outsized Charr but with Tyson Fury he would be technically the smaller man.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                Yeah, I did it, and here's why:

Tyson Fury has come a long way from where he was just three years ago. The first McDermott fight was the turning point of his career. Fury was just a tall hw with the skill level of a Tye Fields; he was a big guy with good power but bad technique and he looked like a KO waiting to happen.

McDermott was his real first test and IMO Fury was lucky to get the decision (the ref was the only judge). To my recollection, It was back and forth action with both guys being hurt and Fury essentially gassing out halfway through the fight.

Since that fight Tyson Fury has improved in every aspect of his game. This guy has genuine skills now - he uses his long reach, he has very good movement and footwork, he occasionally changes from orthodox to southpaw and throws nice combinations. His stamina and conditioning have greatly improved as well and as we saw last night, he easily went 12 rounds - he threw (and landed) a lot of punches and he peddled around the ring a lot.

Having said that, there has been mention of him facing Vitali Klitschko (the Johnson fight may or may not have been an eliminator, it's not clear) if the elder Klitschko brother does not retire. And frankly, I like this fight...

Vitali is past his prime, is up there in age and he looked somewhat vulnerable in his last fight.

Stylistically this is great fight. Both guys are physically gifted, height and long reach make them both rangy. Vitali likes keep his hands low and uses his spacing to get in/out of punching range. Vitali has clubbing like punches and packs good power. Fury keeps a high guard (some of time) and likes to throw straight one-twos down the pipe coupled with occasional body shots. Fury likes to move side-to-side and he switches to southpaw to add an extra element to his offense.

Right now I could see a scenario where Fury upsets Klitschko. Fury has pretty good endurance and stamina and his workrate is pretty high for a hw. He's not a one punch knockout artist, he throws a lot of jab and right hands and once he gets into his rhythm he throws some good combinations. Vitali is past his prime and getting up there in years and he might be prone to being outworked.

What are your thoughts/ opinions/ predictions?...
                I'm with you on that. I think Fury has a pretty good chance of beating Vitali in a decision.

Comment

Vitali even now is much better in every department!

It would be very painful for Fury, but as he doesn't have very good chin he would be KOed pretty soon.

Complete mismatch.

Price would have much better chance!
                  Last edited by Simurgh; 12-02-2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Fury doesnt stand a chance against Vitali

Fury doesnt stand a chance against Haye neither

I think in a rematch with Chisora he would lose

Comment

Working...
                    X