No announcement yet.

Tipping is for chumps. Do NOT do it!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deanrw View Post
    That makes sense as to why tipping is very important in the US then. Without tips you would be below poor. In other places service people earn a higher base salary, so tipping is more optional instead of expected.
    Yup. . .

I mean, it's just a cultural thing. . .

I won't argue there's pros, AND cons to the tipping culture we have in USA.

Comment

• Originally posted by [ DUBBZZ ] View Post
      Tipping is merit based. Their salary ain't.

If they do a good job, I make sure I take care of them. If they suck, they'll know it.
      This. I go to Mexico often and additionally tip the gas station attendant (all of them are full serve,) guy at the feed store (for loading several 88 pound (40 kilo) bags) and kid that bags the groceries.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanrw View Post
        That makes sense as to why tipping is very important in the US then. Without tips you would be below poor. In other places service people earn a higher base salary, so tipping is more optional instead of expected.
        Thats not universally true. Only some states do the lower wage for employees who receive tips.

It was my understanding that tipping was originally something done prior to receiving a service to insure good service. You would tip the guy at the door for a good table etc. This version of tipping we have now is absurd to me. We are basically keeping *******s in business so they can **** our friends, family etc into a **** wage.

You will say, "dont go to a sit down place then". Of course I will still go though and on top of the tip I will pay, I will also pay a premium for the food because its a "sit down place". So that whole "cheap" argument really doesnt hold water to me. Youre already paying for that increased level of service just from the menu prices...

My chick works as a server/bartender and we get into little arguments all the time when she comes home pissed cause a table didnt tip. That attitude disgusts me. If you dont like it either shut up, or go get a better job. I completely disagree with the mentality that tips should be expected.

Now before you all hate me, I almost always tip, but its just to avoid the awkwardness of having not tipped. Its bull****.

Comment

• I've noticed in Europe that tipping is not frequent and the service sucks (probably because people dont tip)

Comment

• Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
            I've noticed in Europe that tipping is not frequent and the service sucks (probably because people dont tip)
            I've never had bad service.

Once I got brought over a Guinness instead of a larger and got it for free.

This my local where I used to go to eat quite a bit. They even do take-away burgers.

http://www.emberinns.co.uk/thecrabtr...empstead/food/

Comment

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              I'm the strange creature and you make a silly a comparison like that? The UPS man gets good money, REAL good money to bring you the package, it's his job. Where as the waiter gets sh.it money and is there to give you service. There's a clear distinction there.

Like I said before, the experience of the restaurant is what you are paying for. If you don't want to tip, then don't go to a sit down restaurant. Go eat at a place where you get your own food and drinks.

It's a system set up to guarantee you the best service, and since I have traveled in many places, I can tell you it works.

It's definitely about being cheap, if you can't see the simple service you are paying for. Now if they give you crap service, then I agree, you shouldn't tip or tip less. I tip 20% usually, never less than 15% unless the service is really bad.
              If they give you a crap service you complain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShaunRoberts View Post

Shauny, you're a good mate. . A good lad in general. . But your brutish, neanderthal mentality does not comprehend this issue.

Not tipping = complaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShaunRoberts View Post
                  And have 'em fired so they can live off teh gov'na like you?

Comment

• Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
                    Shauny, you're a good mate. . A good lad in general. . But your brutish, neanderthal mentality does not comprehend this issue.

Not tipping = complaining.

Well I guess some folks on this thread complain every single time.

Comment

• Here in Jersey and Maryland(where I used to live), it's common practice for a lot of restaurants to automatically add a 15% gratuity to the bill of parties of 5 or more ppl. Some restaurants even do 18%.

I guess if you're that opposed to tipping then you have a very limited selection of places to go if you're going out as a group. At least where I'm from.

Or you could just split into 2 or more smaller groups so you don't qualify for the auto gratuity.

Just pretend you don't know the others.

Comment

Working...
                      X