No announcement yet.

Emanuel Steward: Hayes a Genius

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emanuel Steward: Hayes a Genius

Wladimir Klitschko's trainer Emanuel Steward has labelled David Haye 'a genius' for bringing a buzz back to the heavyweight division.

And the Hall of Famer even went so far as to say that Haye is the most exciting fighter to hit the world stage since Cassius Clay more than 40 years ago.

Many have found the Briton's trash-talking distasteful as he almost goaded the IBF/WBO/IBO champion into taking him on, despite having just one warm-up fight since moving up from cruiserweight.

But Haye got his wish, with the pair entering the ring in front of 70,000 fans in Gelsenkirchen, Germany on June 20...and Steward can hardly wait.

"David Haye brings an excitement like Cassius Clay in 1963," he said. "I was training then and he was creating excitement just verbally in addition to knocking out guys.

"This is the first time I have seen anyone do what David Haye is doing. He hasn't even fought a quality heavyweight, he's got a knockout against Monte Barrett, a guy (Klitschko) knocked out about 10 years ago.

"But he's a genius to create this excitement, he's even got me excited. I wanted to go to training camp this week and Wlad said 'no', wait a couple more weeks. So there's a lot of excitement in this fight."

Lacklustre

Importantly for Steward, he believes Haye's aggression in and out of the ring will inspire Klitschko into raising his game following lacklustre recent defences against Lamon Brewster, Tony Thompson and Hasim Rahman.

"Wladimir will be fighting a guy who isn't like who he's been fighting in the recent past," he added. "Recently they've all been old, veteran guys who've been fighting to survive. This is somebody who's going to come to knock Wladimir out.

"He's going to bring energy, excitement and explosiveness we have not seen for some while.

"And Wladimir fights at his best when fighters come to him. Wladimir fights very good when he's attacked. He does not fight good with fighters who lay back.

"David Haye is going to come at him and be very aggressive and it's going to be one of those type of fights that's not going to go 12 rounds."

But Steward, naturally, believes his man will have the power to end it first.

"I want this fight over with quick," he underlined. "I want him to knock out David Haye within six rounds because we cannot play safe this time.

"We'll break him down slowly and then he'll feel the strength of a full heavyweight."

SOURCE:SkySports

good post last night

Comment

Do you think Steward wants Haye to win? lol

Comment

this fight is going to end in ko , for who i dont know but for damn sure someone going to sleep before we see 12.

Comment

I wonder who Manny's heart will be with on June 20th....
          Just going by his comments he seems quite smitten with David, also Haye has a fairly close relationship with one Lennox Lewis....
          Yes, he's Wlad's trainer but Steward has always been a money mercenary.

Comment

Manny Steward is ****ed up in the noggin if he thinks Haye can hype a fight in any way remotely close to Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
              Manny Steward is ****ed up in the noggin if he thinks Haye can hype a fight in any way remotely close to Ali.
              He's merely pointing out what we all know...Haye is bringing overdue excitement back to the heavyweights with his trash talking.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
                He said the biggest fight hype since Ali bursted on the scene didnt say as big or bigger. But you have to admit boxing doesnt get the press it got back when Ali was trying to lure Liston into a fight. So the fact he got this much of a buzz going is amazing. The HW division has been dead and buried now for about oh say 7 years...right so the fact we are even talking about an exiciting HW fight is amazing...Give haye that much credit....Lefty

Comment

Working...
                X