New to Boxing - advice needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Boxing - advice needed

Hi

I went to my first lesson today, knowing I was probably going to be the smallest guy there, but not by that much! the moment i entered the gym I was contemplating what i had gotten myself into, but it was great fun and a great workout which i desperately need.

Is there anything in particular anyone can suggest to help me get in shape to better perform at the classes. I'm 22 and have a fairly small frame, although muscles working its way on there slowly.

The problem is I sit on my backside for 8hours + a day at work and drive everywhere...

I have access to a gym at work which I go to every other day for an hour, and they have mats/bags etc but at home I have nothing (but am willing to buy and have space for a bag and such)

is there anything I can do at home using my own body weight and at the gym in particular that will aid in this sport?

thanks in advance for any feedback
    Chris

theres a number of things you can do with your own weight to help.
    Push Ups
    Dips
    Pull Ups
    Up Downs or Burpees
    Mountain Climbers
    Bicycles (For Abs)
    Sit Ups
    Leg Lunges/ Weight Leg Lunges
    Leg Lifts
    Superman's (Lower Back Exercise)
    Squats (Two Leg Squats, One Leg Squats, Alternating Leg Squats)
    Power Jumping Jacks

and Probably way more.

heres a few links
    http://www.expertvillage.com/video-s...excercises.htm

http://www.rosstraining.com/
    Ross has some really good exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by d_lyrik803 View Post
      theres a number of things you can do with your own weight to help.
      Push Ups
      Dips
      Pull Ups
      Up Downs or Burpees
      Mountain Climbers
      Bicycles (For Abs)
      Sit Ups
      Leg Lunges/ Weight Leg Lunges
      Leg Lifts
      Superman's (Lower Back Exercise)
      Squats (Two Leg Squats, One Leg Squats, Alternating Leg Squats)
      Power Jumping Jacks

and Probably way more.

heres a few links
      http://www.expertvillage.com/video-s...excercises.htm

http://www.rosstraining.com/
      Ross has some really good exercises.
      Great post. You start doing that, and you'll be in good shape in no time. To the original poster though, you shouldn't be worrying about being the "smallest guy there" or anything like that. Just come into the gym eager to learn, work hard, respect the other fighters, and listen to your trainer, and you'll be ok.

Comment

thanks guys, will get right on that ^^

im not worried about my size at all or anything else i have no/little control over, im eager to learn and am of the mentality that theres no point in doing it if i dont give it 100%

thanks again for all of the info, hopfully ill be able to keep up soon ^^ lol

Comment

Yea definately work on strength training but don't forget to do plyometric training. You need to be quick on your feet and the more you develop you legs and calve muscles the quicker you will be.

Get good at doing a lot of jump rope too.

Comment

Originally posted by CrysAk View Post
            thanks guys, will get right on that ^^

im not worried about my size at all or anything else i have no/little control over, im eager to learn and am of the mentality that theres no point in doing it if i dont give it 100%

thanks again for all of the info, hopfully ill be able to keep up soon ^^ lol
            How big actually are you?
            Like your height and weight?

Comment

im about 70 kg / 150 pounds. and about 5ft 9

although looking this up, some guys are the same weight as me but are wayyyyyyy more built, i thought muscle was heavier than fat? or only marginally ?

Comment

Originally posted by CrysAk View Post
                im about 70 kg / 150 pounds. and about 5ft 9

although looking this up, some guys are the same weight as me but are wayyyyyyy more built, i thought muscle was heavier than fat? or only marginally ?
                a pound is a pound whether muscle or fat. Muscle however, is more dense than fat which means that if you were to replace all the fat in a certain space with muscle, it would look bigger. Thus the guys who are your weight who look "wayyyyyyy more built". I am in your weight group, usually weigh in at around 151 and about the same height and people swear I'm 165 when they look at me. I know some 141 lbders who look huge for their weight. Your frame also has a lot to do with how muscular you appear. Tall, lanky guys appear less muscular than shorter more compactly built guys but it doesn't necessarily mean their less strong. Take a Jeffrey Resto or better yet, Eric Simmons for example, 6'3 155, Looks like a stick but if he hits you cleanly, you will more than likely be looking up from the floor... Just train hard and you'll see...

Comment

haha yea good point ^^

gotta get this fat off i guess :P

Comment

Working...
                  X