No announcement yet.

Shavers vs Joe Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shavers vs Joe Louis

Ok let's get his straight, Louis is clearly the better more rounded fighter, but in a head-to-head match up I give Shavers a huge chance. Louis always kept his left low and was open for a right hand over the top lead or counter. Walcott hit him with this and so did Schmeling, I know others have too.

Shavers would also be in with someone of similar size. I'm not one to care much about size but in this case I think it would let Shavers feel like the bigger man for once.

What happens when Shavers connects with his right hand?? He would most definitely, without a doubt in my mind as he did so against much better defensive minded fighters.

I know Louis has a punchers chance, but I don't see that coming into effect untill about round 5, Shavers was usually done by then anyways.

I'd like to hear some unbiased ideas, I personally can see Louis just getting stopped - a small chance that he weathers the storm and turns the tables on shavers abruptly, but Shavers by KO is a big chance of outcome.

Shavers nearly knocked Holmes out cold in his prime, if it wasn't for Holmes incredible evasive abilities he would have been finished. He also hurt Ali badly, who had one of the best chins of all time bar non and possibly the most heart.
    Last edited by them_apples; 02-15-2012, 05:45 PM.

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    Ok let's get his straight, Louis is clearly the better more rounded fighter, but in a head-to-head match up I give Shavers a huge chance. Louis always kept his left low and was open for a right hand over the top lead or counter. Walcott hit him with this and so did Schmeling, I know others have too.

Shavers would also be in with someone of similar size. I'm not one to care much about size but in this case I think it would let Shavers feel like the bigger man for once.

What happens when Shavers connects with his right hand?? He would most definitely, without a doubt in my mind as he did so against much better defensive minded fighters.

I know Louis has a punchers chance, but I don't see that coming into effect untill about round 5, Shavers was usually done by then anyways.

I'd like to hear some unbiased ideas, I personally can see Louis just getting stopped - a small chance that he weathers the storm and turns the tables on shavers abruptly, but Shavers by KO is a big chance of outcome.

Shavers nearly knocked Holmes out cold in his prime, if it wasn't for Holmes incredible evasive abilities he would have been finished. He also hurt Ali badly, who had one of the best chins of all time bar non and possibly the most heart.
    Very dangerous early on for Louis but I can't pick Shavers to beat him. Two different class of fighters. Shavers had devastaing power, as everybody knows. But he also was a limited fighter in many ways. Poor stamina, slow and his chin was not that good either. Shavers hurt Ali and Holmes, but he was also stopped by Ron Lyle and Jerry Quarry (1 round). I see some rocky moments for Louis early (similar to the Galento fight) but I also see him overcoming them to take Shavers out in about 6 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Very dangerous early on for Louis but I can't pick Shavers to beat him. Two different class of fighters. Shavers had devastaing power, as everybody knows. But he also was a limited fighter in many ways. Poor stamina, slow and his chin was that good either. Shavers hurt Ali and Holmes, but he was alos stopped by Ron Lyle and Jerry Quarry (1 round) I see some rocky moments for Louis(similiar to the Galento fight) but I also see him overcoming them to take Shavers out in about 6 rounds
      good points. But what about his open defense for Shavers right? Even Lyle and Quarry weren't necessarily prone to eating that punch. The point of this thread.

I'm almost 100% certain it would land, and Louis survival skills are average at best. I completely agree Louis is the more rounded fighter and would put up a much better fight against some of the opponent's shavers lost too. But we can't pick a fighter to win based on his greatness alone.
      Last edited by them_apples; 02-15-2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Louis KO2.

Easy fight, easy knockout.

Shavers has literally no chance here in my opinion. Maybe against a green Louis who didn't take a right hand well but he would still kick the living **** out of Shavers regardless.

And before any one asks. Schmeling is a much better fighter than Shavers.

Comment

Louis had great recovery abilities, from his fight with Galento and Buddy Baer he was knocked down and got right back on the job. I see Louis taking a knockdown and then coming on to seriously hurt Shavers and knock him out, too good a boxer with the jab and accuracy plus Shaves chin

Louis by KO 4

Comment

I guess I'm the only one who thinks Shavers does f*** all in this match-up.

Comment

I agree with Joseph,two different class of fighters

Of course Shavers has a punchers chance,he would have a punchers chance against an elephant,but his power doesnt make up for his major lacking in other areas when facing a guy like Louis,after a few early scares the brown bomber stops him around the 6th,and it would be brutal

Comment

Louis by K.O under 6 would be a safe bet. Pretty much better in every area except punching power which louis is no slacker at.

Hell I'd put a prime louis against any HW in history except the giants (K1, K2, lennox )

Comment

Mr. Max taught Joe all about dropping and rowing his jab and not tucking his chin. Max was a very good puncher just like Ernie but remember that in the heavyweight division theres alot of guys with the power to hurt. Ernie had great reach and he could take a good punch but he never fought anyone that would jab then rip right hands to his body (side) and look to see when and how the hook could land. Ernie never fought anyone with a two handed attack like Joe brings. Louis threw all the punches correctly and if you retreated to the ropes or corner you were in for it! I don't think the members here actually realize the ability of Joe Louis. Max Schmeling was a hell of a fighter and if it weren't for Hitler holding his family and status in jepardy Max would have been fighting out of NYC. In their second fight try to find the audio and listen to the punches and you can hear Max sigh and the air rushing out of him. Joe broke T's in the mans back and almost severed ribs from his chest bone. Max was a vewry good fighter and proved it against Joe the first time, and said he'd stop him. I like Ernie alot, he'd get hurt bad. Ray

Comment

Shavers always has a punchers chance.

I think Louis would take his time in this one, break him down a bit, then knock him out.

But Louis without any doubt wins this fights with absolutely no problems outside a single shot that may hurt him.

Comment

Working...
                    X