No announcement yet.

Any of you using Windows 8 Yet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you using Windows 8 Yet?

I just purchased a new computer with Windows 7 64bit. Got it at a great price. I have an upgrade to windows 8 offer for like $15

My question is, since I work from home and use 2 computers to VPN into my workplace, which is in multiple locations in Canada and the US. I need it to be stable. Is windows 8 stable out of the box or should I wait for the first service pack? Does it offer anything over Windows 7 which would make it viable?

I am not in dire straights and have 5 computers on the go here, so I can jump to another for work if some driver fails or something. I just don't want to bother with the hassle though and would rather a seamless upgrade. I simply do not have the time to play. I used to love tweaking with machines and building them by hand, but do not have the time to fiddle around with them anymore.

Most of the reviews i have seen say you're better off sticking with Windows 7.

Comment

Yeah they are never good new. I will still get it but will wait about 6 months to a year before I actually install it just to be safe.

Comment

Cant download it from MSDN yet, site keeps crapping out. Anyone else with MSDN download it yet?

Comment

Im honestly surprised every time I hear of someone buying a PC. They are so rare these days.

Comment

your better off sticking with windows 7 from what I READ.

I am a linux user.

but I do dual boot to windows 7 to play my steam games.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              Im honestly surprised every time I hear of someone buying a PC. They are so rare these days.

Macs still have many limitations in the work place. They simply do not have the software choices that PC's have. Macs have their place of course and many jobs are fine with them. Others not so much. I have one macbook pro that I use. The rest are PC's. I love mac notebooks, but it is for general use.

The gap is narrowing, but there are still over 15 PC's sold to every 1 Mac sold. Until it narrows more, specialized software companies will concentrate on where they make money.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                Macs still have many limitations in the work place. They simply do not have the software choices that PC's have. Macs have their place of course and many jobs are fine with them. Others not so much. I have one macbook pro that I use. The rest are PC's. I love mac notebooks, but it is for general use.

The gap is narrowing, but there are still over 15 PC's sold to every 1 Mac sold. Until it narrows more, specialized software companies will concentrate on where they make money.
                Really? Give me some examples, because I am frankly not ware of any workplace limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  Really? Give me some examples, because I am frankly not ware of any workplace limitations.
                  Here are a couple that I have run across myself. My Company uses a specialized Nortal VPN gateway that every Mac I have ever used has trouble breaking through. The reason is the tcp/ip headers from the Mac often get flagged by Enterprise firewalls.

Voip dialing software, depending on the company, often is simply not available for Macintoshes. Database management is difficult on macs because many Databases use Java for a means of remote entry. Macintoshes Java releases is often behind the curve compared to Windows releases and get locked out after the Database was updated with the latest security release. Of course that is not Apple's fault, but it is a reality. For now anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post

Limitations?????

Only Macs can legally run Mac OS X, Windows and Linux which would actually give them the biggest choice of software of any computer.

I don't see the limitations.

Comment

Working...
                    X